Need advice

G

I'm planning on getting a new motherboard and processor but I don't know what to get. I'm looking on spending around 250 bucks total preferably. I'll be using the system primarily for gaming mainly Quake 3: Arena.

Right now I have a PIII 800 w/512 pc133 ram, Geforce 2 PRO 64mb and a crap BX133-Raid Abit motherboard. The motherboard is the main cause for the poor FPS (87 in "Fastest") I'm getting in q3 I think. The mb only supports 1X AGP transfers. The graphics card supports up to 4X AGP transfers. I'm no expert but thats my guess as to why I'm getting such low frames.

I want the best possible performance I can get for Q3: Arena for what I'm willing to pay for a new mb and processor. On pricewatch I noticed some descent prices for a Athlon XP 1500 & motherboard but I don't know how good it is performance wise. If anyone could give me some good advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Being as specific as possible would be excellent.

Thanks a lot
Erik

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
what motherboard?
made by who?

and yeah, i am getting higher fps on my athlon 900 with 256 megs ddr, and a geforce 2 pro..all on the good ol ECS k7s5a

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

What motherboard and made by who? That's what I was asking about, what motherboard and processor should I buy. I was hoping to order something tonight so if anyone could give me some quick advice I'd appreciate it!

Thanks

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you best deal for the processor is going to be the athlonxp 1600+...
for the cost, and the performance.
as for a mobo...
i personally would say the k7s5a, made by ecs...
and 256 megs of ddr...
that will give you the best performance for the price...
some places have combos that you can buy...but they sometimes throw in crap hsf's...
look for a good hsf to put on that bad boy...along with some sort of thermal interface material, like arctic silver, or the white goo from Radio Shack.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-