looking for a good sdram board please give input

G

Hi

im looking for a good sd-ram based motherboard (ddr ram hasnt convinced me yet)

i was looking at the Iwill kk266-r Plus but finding out that its not compatible with the athlon xp stright outa the box has made it inaccessable for me as i wont have a normal athlon to flash the bios to the latest verion .. unless someone can confirm that it will work enough to be able to flash the bios ??

ive been interested in the Epox 8KTA3+ Pro.. ive been told its athlonXP compatible and has a few good features (but not 6 channel sound like the Iwill).

can anyone reccomend me a board that fits the features i want or advise me on wether to but the eopx board or not.

im looking for:

6 pci slots
no amr/cnr slots
onboard raid
and the usual features stable/overclocking/performance/price.

thanks in advance for any input.

<b>I was born in such a poor family that if I wasn't born a boy, I'd have nothing to play with.</b>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the ecs, k7s5a is sdram compatible, and if you end up being convinced that ddr is better, *coughwhichitiscough*, then you could even switch to that...considering that it has ddr and sdram slots....
and, it costs like $60
you cant go wrong...
and, it is xp compatible...all the way!
some people say that anything over 1ghz is a prob on this board...but it is running my friends athlon xp 1600+, which is definately over 1 ghz...and he has 512 megs of ddr....
it is a great board, and fast, stable, and reliable.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

well i know ddr ram is better (i wasnt trying to say otherwise) i just havent found a motherboard with all these features as yet and i dont believe ddr ram has fully matured yet and it is still a little more than sd ram per dimm/simm and the motherboards are quite a bit more as well..

ill check out the board you reccomended me, thanks

<b>I was born in such a poor family that if I wasn't born a boy, I'd have nothing to play with.</b>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Have a look the post by "rick_criswell" 12/03/01 09:50 pm and the accompanying discussion.
Can't see how this mobo can be considered anymore.
What's going on with this board ?

Danny

Yes up in the sky, that's where they all are !

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i am using it, my friend is using it, and there seems to be no problem...
i cant see why it wouldnt be considered.......

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

well it doesnt really have 6 pci slots or onboard raid ? (i havent acctualy read much about it so i could be wrong).. im mainly interested in sd-ram becuase here in australia its still much cheaper than ddr and i dont really think its worth the 5%-10% increase in performance..

im mainly interested now in the Eopx 8KTA3+ Pro board and if anyone can tell me why i should/shouldnt buy it for an AthlonXP 1600+.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Is it maybe that there are a lot of revisions for this board, and the latest are not necesserarily the best. At least that could be what the aformentioned posts about the K7S5A could mean.
I actually was very interested in this board, but feel i bit lost at the moment. I need a cheap (economical, good value) socket A mobo, that will accept the AXP for upgrading purposes. Also would mine being able to pot in Sdram to start off with.
Someone said on the forum :"When they work, they work well". Maybe that's the trick. Buy it, if it a falty one , exchange it. Will be informing myself more before buying.

Danny

Cheers :)