I want to install a graphics card?

pinoyzoi

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I have a eMachines Black EL1852G-52w Desktop its very small just like the slimline hp brands.

-Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6700 processor
3.2Hz, 2MB Cache
-3GB of DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 4GB)
-1TB Sata HD
-16x SuperMulti DVD Burner
-10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
-220 Power Supply
-Integrated Intel GMA X4500HD graphics

I really want to install a graphics card into my computer system, but I do know that my power supply will be a big problem. The only game I plan on playing is League of Legends & Counter-Strike Source. ATM I can run LOL with 22fps & 53fps on CS:S with all high settings but my AA is very low. I want to install any graphics card where I can play CS:S without the annoying choppy edges. This computer is not really a gaming computer I know, but I just want to play these 2 games. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Your options are very limited indeed. The slimline case limits you to low profile cards, and the 220 Watt PSU isn't enough to run any real video card. Without a power supply upgrade the best you can get would be a Radeon HD 6450, it's faster than the Intel GMA X4500, but it isn't considered a gaming card. If you are playing at a resolution higher than 1280x1024 performance will be quite poor, and it still probably doesn't have enough power to enable AA and still deliver decent framerates. The 6450 may be enough for CS:S simply because that game is ancient, but don't expect great performance from LoL.

If you can find a better power supply that can fit your case (say 250 to 300 Watts), you could look at a Radeon HD 5570 or 6570, they do exist in low profile and are a good deal faster than the 6450, they would offer much better performance. Anything above the 5570 or 6570 is pretty much impossible with your case, there were low profile versions of the 5670 and 5770, but not too many were made, and they are close to impossible to find now new.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
There's not much that's going to help man. Due to physical size, any kind of graphics card won't really fit. Also, anything worthy of being called a Graphics Card will require a bit more power than the 220W generic PSU will provide to the system.

In other words - there's not much you can do. New case, PSU and then you can look at a graphics card should the motherboard support a graphics card.

pinoyzoi

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

I appreciate it, I just wanted to change my integrated graphics card to anything low mid gaming to play CS:S.