Sign in with
Your question

Skyrim - will 2.2ghz dual-core 64-bit CPU bottleneck 5570?

Last response: in Video Games
November 29, 2011 10:26:36 AM

Hello everyone,

My brother has a 2007 Dell Dimension C521 (slimline version) with a 2.2ghz AMD Athlon X2 4200 processor (Windsor core, I believe), 4X1GB of GEIL PC6400 DDR2 (800mhz) and a low-profile 1GB Sapphire Radeon 5570 GPU (overclocked to 700mhz with CCC).

WEI (for what it's worth) - 5.0, 7.1, 6.8, 6.8, 5.9

I want to get him a copy of Skyrim for Christmas, and I know the machine is a little underpowered for that, but he's not bothered about anti-aliasing and fancy detail levels. According to Tom's article* on the topic, the game will run reasonably well at medium to low detail settings with this setup.

(last page) > http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-...

I understand the game is CPU intensive though, and with a risky 'from-within-windows-only' BIOS update, the system will allegedly run a Brisbane 3.1ghz 6000 X2. In light of the following excerpt, is the upgrade worth the trouble (and risk)?

"Gamers at the entry-level side of the spectrum should be happy to learn that a GeForce GT 430 or Radeon HD 5570 delivers a 35 FPS minimum frame rate at 1680x1050 using medium details. As settings drop, so do CPU requirements. So, any dual-core processor running at 2 GHz or more should be ample."

Any sage advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben
November 29, 2011 11:01:51 AM

bfc7960 said:
Hello everyone,

My brother has a 2007 Dell Dimension C521 (slimline version) with a 2.2ghz AMD Athlon X2 4200 processor (Windsor core, I believe), 4X1GB of GEIL PC6400 DDR2 (800mhz) and a low-profile 1GB Sapphire Radeon 5570 GPU (overclocked to 700mhz with CCC).

WEI (for what it's worth) - 5.0, 7.1, 6.8, 6.8, 5.9

I want to get him a copy of Skyrim for Christmas, and I know the machine is a little underpowered for that, but he's not bothered about anti-aliasing and fancy detail levels. According to Tom's article* on the topic, the game will run reasonably well at medium to low detail settings with this setup.

(last page) > http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-...

I understand the game is CPU intensive though, and with a risky 'from-within-windows-only' BIOS update, the system will allegedly run a Brisbane 3.1ghz 6000 X2. In light of the following excerpt, is the upgrade worth the trouble (and risk)?

"Gamers at the entry-level side of the spectrum should be happy to learn that a GeForce GT 430 or Radeon HD 5570 delivers a 35 FPS minimum frame rate at 1680x1050 using medium details. As settings drop, so do CPU requirements. So, any dual-core processor running at 2 GHz or more should be ample."

Any sage advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben

Ben,

He should be able to run it with no AA, 4x AF, medium detail fairly well. The game is very cpu dependent though and I'm not sure how well a 2.2 will handle the game.. Maybe someone with similar specs will have a better idea. I do have a thread open with mods and tweaks that may make things better and of course there is a patch due out this wednesday also.

Good luck!
!