Which Wireless Router?

Hi,

I'm considering on a Wireless Router, can anyone advise?

The Router will sit on a shelf in another room and requires to connect
a Parallel Printer.

I also don't quite understand if an interface card (inserted into your
computer, to connect with the router) is included with such a router
as default?

two options seen so far:

Linksys WPS54GU2 Wireless USB 2.0 Print Server £90.47
D-Link DP-G321 802.11g Print Server £139.42

Don't see much difference between them, an additional USB port on the
D-Link can't justify the price difference, can it?

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about which wireless router

    Gizmo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm considering on a Wireless Router, can anyone advise?
    >
    > The Router will sit on a shelf in another room and requires to connect
    > a Parallel Printer.
    >
    > I also don't quite understand if an interface card (inserted into your
    > computer, to connect with the router) is included with such a router
    > as default?
    >
    > two options seen so far:
    >
    > Linksys WPS54GU2 Wireless USB 2.0 Print Server £90.47
    > D-Link DP-G321 802.11g Print Server £139.42
    >
    > Don't see much difference between them, an additional USB port on the
    > D-Link can't justify the price difference, can it?
    >
    > Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

    Hate to tell you, but print servers are *NOT* what you think
    (wap/routers)....Thats why they are called "print servers". They are
    standalone wireless nodes that make a printer (usb or parralel) a device on
    your wireless network. You still need a WAP

    What you really need / are talking about is a wireless router with a printer
    port, i.e. the printer is wired to the router, which means it's available to
    any computer on the network, wireless or otherwise.
    One such router is Draytek Vigor 2600G, excellent piece of kit, but not
    cheap.
    Here comes the bad news: Such printer ports are always (AFAIK) USB ports.

    If you really want to use your old printer with parallel port, you would
    need a separate print server, wireless or otherwise,
    they aren't intended for home use, hence they aren't cheap. Likely to cost
    more then a new printer.
    BTW there are also printers with built in wireless connection, HP ones that
    I know of.
    Regards,
    Martin

    There are pros and cons to every brand and model so you need to
    determine what features are important based on the amount of money
    you're willing to spend. My personal recommendations are as follows:
    WPA and WPA-PSK encryption (preferably TKIP and/or AES), NAT & SPI
    firewall, Wireless-G, long range, fast throughput and easy to set up
    and manage. With that in mind, I recommend the D-Link DI-624, Belkin
    F5d7231-4, Netgear WGR614 or the Linksys WRT54GS. Indeed, there are
    others, but these are my preferences.

    --
    doug Jamal

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:43:44 -0000, in alt.internet.wireless , "Martin²"
    <never@give.one> wrote:

    >If you really want to use your old printer with parallel port, you would
    >need a separate print server, wireless or otherwise,
    >they aren't intended for home use, hence they aren't cheap.

    D-link do a very nice (wired) printserver with a single parallel port for
    around GBP50. I use one for my color inkjet.

    I also have a useless usb printserver port on my router. Useless because it
    won't work with multifunction printers such as my Kyo X5150. My advice is
    to buy separate router and printservers, anyway.

    >BTW there are also printers with built in wireless connection, HP ones that
    >I know of.

    Also Epson and Canon at least, I forget which models, and some can be
    upgraded with a network module similar to HP's JetDirect card.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

Wireless Router Wireless Wireless Networking