Instaling IE 5.01 offline

littleberry

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Twice now I have gotten bit when installing a new application that quits when it finds my Internet Explorer is less than IE 5.01 - I am using Win98SE which normally installs IE 5.00 and I stay offline. This latest incident was installing a scanner which would NOT install unless I updated to a better version (IE 6.0 preferred). The problme is that this machine is NOT on the internet (no modem) and when I downloaded IE 5.5 and IE 6.0 (from msoft on a different PC), neither upgrade will install without being connected to the internet. So - how do you get a win98se PC upgraded to better than the standard IE with the win98se CD (5.00) when the PC is NOT connected? Stumped!

RANT FOLLOWS: Why the h*** do these companies make their apps REQUIRE something greater than what is shipped normally with win98se?????? What's their bloomin' problem?
What is wrong with the standard IE that came with the CD????
My innards are grinding over this. It is like saying "you can't get there from here - drop dead.".
littleberry

littleberry

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
I got my own answer - go here:
http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/microsoft/ie/
Several different versions of IE are available for download and they are the FULL versions (about 75 megs) and do NOT require you to be connected to the internet for the install. littleberry

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
REQUIRE something greater than what is shipped normally with win98se?????? What's their bloomin' problem?
Well...the OS is 7 years old. A lot of these guys writing new software weren't even old enough to drive a car 7 years ago. Not to mention there have been quite a few changes to IE since 5.0 and these softwares would like to take advantage of some of them. It's called progress...

....WW (5.1)