Very slow defrag

Recently upgraded from W98 to WXP Professional. When I attempt to defrag C:
the process is excedingly slow. I ran disk clean up then chkdsk which found
no errors. I show 52% free space. When I attempted to defrag I started the
program, left it running and came back 5 1/2 hours later and it was at only
37% complete "compacting files". Any ideas what can be causing this slowness
and what can I do about it. I have rebooted the computer a couple of times
and restarted defrag and it always grinds to a halt at the point of
"compacting".
--
Jake
3 answers Last reply

    Check your file system.

    I had a simliar problem which I cured.
    My file system was FAT32, which xp should really convert to NTFS.
    I did this "manually" using the "convert" program supplied by microsoft with
    xp.

    Defragmenter runs really well now.
    Hope this helps.

    "Jake" wrote:

    > Recently upgraded from W98 to WXP Professional. When I attempt to defrag C:
    > the process is excedingly slow. I ran disk clean up then chkdsk which found
    > no errors. I show 52% free space. When I attempted to defrag I started the
    > program, left it running and came back 5 1/2 hours later and it was at only
    > 37% complete "compacting files". Any ideas what can be causing this slowness
    > and what can I do about it. I have rebooted the computer a couple of times
    > and restarted defrag and it always grinds to a halt at the point of
    > "compacting".
    > --
    > Jake

    Thanks! I believe that solved my problem. My file system was also FAT32. I
    ran the Convert.exe program and converted them to NTFS. After the conversion
    I ran defrag again. I'm not sure how long it actually took but I left the
    computer running for a couple of hours and when I came back it had finished
    defragging.

    "sealpup" wrote:

    > Check your file system.
    >
    > I had a simliar problem which I cured.
    > My file system was FAT32, which xp should really convert to NTFS.
    > I did this "manually" using the "convert" program supplied by microsoft with
    > xp.
    >
    > Defragmenter runs really well now.
    > Hope this helps.
    >

    > "Jake" wrote:
    >
    > > Recently upgraded from W98 to WXP Professional. When I attempt to defrag C:
    > > the process is excedingly slow. I ran disk clean up then chkdsk which found
    > > no errors. I show 52% free space. When I attempted to defrag I started the
    > > program, left it running and came back 5 1/2 hours later and it was at only
    > > 37% complete "compacting files". Any ideas what can be causing this slowness
    > > and what can I do about it. I have rebooted the computer a couple of times
    > > and restarted defrag and it always grinds to a halt at the point of
    > > "compacting".
    > > --
    > > Jake

    This may be a stupid question but... when I convert am I going to have to
    reinstall all my software again???

    and how do I access this convert.exe - can I do it through the "run"
    command? Do I have to do it from a dos prompt - any help would be appreciated
    as this slow defrag drives me nuts... it's a new laptop and has 80% free...
    so it is not that!

    Thanks

    "Jake" wrote:

    > Thanks! I believe that solved my problem. My file system was also FAT32. I
    > ran the Convert.exe program and converted them to NTFS. After the conversion
    > I ran defrag again. I'm not sure how long it actually took but I left the
    > computer running for a couple of hours and when I came back it had finished
    > defragging.
    >
    > "sealpup" wrote:
    >
    > > Check your file system.
    > >
    > > I had a simliar problem which I cured.
    > > My file system was FAT32, which xp should really convert to NTFS.
    > > I did this "manually" using the "convert" program supplied by microsoft with
    > > xp.
    > >
    > > Defragmenter runs really well now.
    > > Hope this helps.
    > >

    > > "Jake" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Recently upgraded from W98 to WXP Professional. When I attempt to defrag C:
    > > > the process is excedingly slow. I ran disk clean up then chkdsk which found
    > > > no errors. I show 52% free space. When I attempted to defrag I started the
    > > > program, left it running and came back 5 1/2 hours later and it was at only
    > > > 37% complete "compacting files". Any ideas what can be causing this slowness
    > > > and what can I do about it. I have rebooted the computer a couple of times
    > > > and restarted defrag and it always grinds to a halt at the point of
    > > > "compacting".
    > > > --
    > > > Jake

Defragment Microsoft Free Space Windows XP