Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Very slow defrag

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
January 16, 2005 8:59:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Recently upgraded from W98 to WXP Professional. When I attempt to defrag C:
the process is excedingly slow. I ran disk clean up then chkdsk which found
no errors. I show 52% free space. When I attempted to defrag I started the
program, left it running and came back 5 1/2 hours later and it was at only
37% complete "compacting files". Any ideas what can be causing this slowness
and what can I do about it. I have rebooted the computer a couple of times
and restarted defrag and it always grinds to a halt at the point of
"compacting".
--
Jake

More about : slow defrag

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 11:21:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Check your file system.

I had a simliar problem which I cured.
My file system was FAT32, which xp should really convert to NTFS.
I did this "manually" using the "convert" program supplied by microsoft with
xp.

Defragmenter runs really well now.
Hope this helps.


"Jake" wrote:

> Recently upgraded from W98 to WXP Professional. When I attempt to defrag C:
> the process is excedingly slow. I ran disk clean up then chkdsk which found
> no errors. I show 52% free space. When I attempted to defrag I started the
> program, left it running and came back 5 1/2 hours later and it was at only
> 37% complete "compacting files". Any ideas what can be causing this slowness
> and what can I do about it. I have rebooted the computer a couple of times
> and restarted defrag and it always grinds to a halt at the point of
> "compacting".
> --
> Jake
January 20, 2005 8:37:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Thanks! I believe that solved my problem. My file system was also FAT32. I
ran the Convert.exe program and converted them to NTFS. After the conversion
I ran defrag again. I'm not sure how long it actually took but I left the
computer running for a couple of hours and when I came back it had finished
defragging.

"sealpup" wrote:

> Check your file system.
>
> I had a simliar problem which I cured.
> My file system was FAT32, which xp should really convert to NTFS.
> I did this "manually" using the "convert" program supplied by microsoft with
> xp.
>
> Defragmenter runs really well now.
> Hope this helps.
>
>
> "Jake" wrote:
>
> > Recently upgraded from W98 to WXP Professional. When I attempt to defrag C:
> > the process is excedingly slow. I ran disk clean up then chkdsk which found
> > no errors. I show 52% free space. When I attempted to defrag I started the
> > program, left it running and came back 5 1/2 hours later and it was at only
> > 37% complete "compacting files". Any ideas what can be causing this slowness
> > and what can I do about it. I have rebooted the computer a couple of times
> > and restarted defrag and it always grinds to a halt at the point of
> > "compacting".
> > --
> > Jake
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:09:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

This may be a stupid question but... when I convert am I going to have to
reinstall all my software again???

and how do I access this convert.exe - can I do it through the "run"
command? Do I have to do it from a dos prompt - any help would be appreciated
as this slow defrag drives me nuts... it's a new laptop and has 80% free...
so it is not that!

Thanks

"Jake" wrote:

> Thanks! I believe that solved my problem. My file system was also FAT32. I
> ran the Convert.exe program and converted them to NTFS. After the conversion
> I ran defrag again. I'm not sure how long it actually took but I left the
> computer running for a couple of hours and when I came back it had finished
> defragging.
>
> "sealpup" wrote:
>
> > Check your file system.
> >
> > I had a simliar problem which I cured.
> > My file system was FAT32, which xp should really convert to NTFS.
> > I did this "manually" using the "convert" program supplied by microsoft with
> > xp.
> >
> > Defragmenter runs really well now.
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> >
> > "Jake" wrote:
> >
> > > Recently upgraded from W98 to WXP Professional. When I attempt to defrag C:
> > > the process is excedingly slow. I ran disk clean up then chkdsk which found
> > > no errors. I show 52% free space. When I attempted to defrag I started the
> > > program, left it running and came back 5 1/2 hours later and it was at only
> > > 37% complete "compacting files". Any ideas what can be causing this slowness
> > > and what can I do about it. I have rebooted the computer a couple of times
> > > and restarted defrag and it always grinds to a halt at the point of
> > > "compacting".
> > > --
> > > Jake
!