Won't boot after shutdown!

G

I've been using my computer since july without any major problems, but now it refuses to even boot!
I have a EPOX 8KTA3 motherboard with a 1400 tbird, 256ram and a Geforce 2 gts.
Two weeks ago i bought a new case with two case fans (340w, the former was 300w) and a cdrw and it ran ok for a week then it went black as i was playing a game. I tried to restart it but nothing happened.
All fans start but that's it, no beeps or visual.
I've tried resetting the cmos both by pulling the battery and by moving jumpers.
I have also tried switching back to my old case, but no.
I thought it was my agp card that caused it so i tried an old tnt2 pci card but that didn't do it.
I have removed and reconnected the cpu and the ram several times but it is still the same thing.
I'm starting to believe that something is dead...but then why did it run ok for a whole week, shouldn't it have died the moment i switched it on? It's getting a little bit frustrating!
I have disconnected everything but the agp card to narrow things out.
My cpu was not overclocked, in fact it couldn't run at 1400mhz as it is supposed to.
PLEASE SOMEONE, HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
You have a difficult problem....
Your symptoms + what you have tried bring on more questions than answers i`m affraid !

- You said even before that you could not run your cpu at 1400 mhz. Something defanatly wrong there, was the board configured right ?

- Did you get Temp readings before, after ?

- Thermal sensor ok ? (personnally do not even know what this things look like but that sould'nt stop me from proposing you to check, your mobo guide may give you insight)

- Tripple check connections, and cpu and cards, of course.

Don't know what else to add

good luck :)

Danny

Yes, yes we know by now, they are out there ok already !

G

The temperature was rather ok, 47C for the cpu and 38C for the system. Could be better but i don't think it should be a problem...
I have tried two different power supplies, same thing and i can't remember how many times i have reconnected every cable.
But last night i actually got it starting for a few minutes just to see the same thing happen before i could set it to default. I don't know what i did to get it starting but i haven't succeded again.
Now i know it isn't dead anyway!

digitard

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2001
I would suggest trying to start from the ground up.

- Pull the motherboard from the case, put it on a phonebook w/ JUST the processor and power and the internal speaker and power it on. Your board should emit a constant beep code (beep, pause, beep, pause) to let you know there's no memory... if it gives you that code, at least you know its TRYING to startup. Then put your memory back in the slot CLOSEST to the CPU and power it back on, see if it gives you the 3 beeps for missing vidoe, and so on ....

It should give you at least a little more specific idea of whats going on ... by taking it out you rule out ALL your components, grounds, etc.

Sincerely,
Dave K