XP Boot - Account

My Dad's XP Home edition (SP1 - 1 yr old) suddenly stopped working. He's not
on the Internet and the only files he gets is from me so I doubt that it's a
virus.

I went to the MS knowledgebase. It did not have my specific problem but I
tried some of their boot solutions with no luck.

I checked the battery because I read that a bad battery might affect the
BIOS. It was ok. In any case, my Dad always plugs in the pc. However, I did
notice that the power light never turned green but kept flickering yellow
with the pc plugged in.

I booted the pc, no MS music played, the Welcome screen displayed but minus
the account name. I passed the mouse over the screen to see if the account
name was there and clickable but just not showing. The only thing I was able
to do from this screen was Turn off Computer.
I re-booted, hit F2, but saw no obvious errors.
I re-booted and hit F8 and tried Safe Mode. Same result - Welcome screen but
no account name. I tried re-booting with F8 many times using all of the
available boot options. Same result.
I even tried to bypass the Welcome screen by using the keyboard shortcut for
Start but that didn't work.
His pc (Compaq) came with 4 Quick Recovery disks (why 4?) which I hesitate
to use just yet because I don't know the ramifications. The other alternative
is to re-install XP.

I'm hoping for a simpler solution and a way to avoid this problem in the
future.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Boot back into Safe Mode and press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the welcome
screen. You should be able to logon to the hidden administrator
account from there. Go to Start - Run and type Control Passwords2
and press enter. Does your Dads account still exist?

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]