XP Boot - Account

My Dad's XP Home edition (SP1 - 1 yr old) suddenly stopped working. He's not
on the Internet and the only files he gets is from me so I doubt that it's a
virus.

I went to the MS knowledgebase. It did not have my specific problem but I
tried some of their boot solutions with no luck.

I checked the battery because I read that a bad battery might affect the
BIOS. It was ok. In any case, my Dad always plugs in the pc. However, I did
notice that the power light never turned green but kept flickering yellow
with the pc plugged in.

I booted the pc, no MS music played, the Welcome screen displayed but minus
the account name. I passed the mouse over the screen to see if the account
name was there and clickable but just not showing. The only thing I was able
to do from this screen was Turn off Computer.
I re-booted, hit F2, but saw no obvious errors.
I re-booted and hit F8 and tried Safe Mode. Same result - Welcome screen but
no account name. I tried re-booting with F8 many times using all of the
available boot options. Same result.
I even tried to bypass the Welcome screen by using the keyboard shortcut for
Start but that didn't work.
His pc (Compaq) came with 4 Quick Recovery disks (why 4?) which I hesitate
to use just yet because I don't know the ramifications. The other alternative
is to re-install XP.

I'm hoping for a simpler solution and a way to avoid this problem in the
future.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about boot account

    Hi,

    Boot back into Safe Mode and press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the welcome
    screen. You should be able to logon to the hidden administrator
    account from there. Go to Start - Run and type Control Passwords2
    and press enter. Does your Dads account still exist?

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    howto wrote:
    > My Dad's XP Home edition (SP1 - 1 yr old) suddenly
    > stopped working. He's not on the Internet and the only
    > files he gets is from me so I doubt that it's a virus.
    >
    > I went to the MS knowledgebase. It did not have my
    > specific problem but I tried some of their boot solutions
    > with no luck.
    >
    > I checked the battery because I read that a bad battery
    > might affect the BIOS. It was ok. In any case, my Dad
    > always plugs in the pc. However, I did notice that the
    > power light never turned green but kept flickering yellow
    > with the pc plugged in.
    >
    > I booted the pc, no MS music played, the Welcome screen
    > displayed but minus the account name. I passed the mouse
    > over the screen to see if the account name was there and
    > clickable but just not showing. The only thing I was able
    > to do from this screen was Turn off Computer.
    > I re-booted, hit F2, but saw no obvious errors.
    > I re-booted and hit F8 and tried Safe Mode. Same result -
    > Welcome screen but no account name. I tried re-booting
    > with F8 many times using all of the available boot
    > options. Same result.
    > I even tried to bypass the Welcome screen by using the
    > keyboard shortcut for Start but that didn't work.
    > His pc (Compaq) came with 4 Quick Recovery disks (why 4?)
    > which I hesitate to use just yet because I don't know the
    > ramifications. The other alternative is to re-install XP.
    >
    > I'm hoping for a simpler solution and a way to avoid this
    > problem in the future.

Boot Windows XP