HELP!!!!

G

Firts to tell you my sistem.
MSI K7T Pro, Duron 700, Maxtor DiamondMax 20GB.
My problems started before 1 month. I was running WinME and worked just fine with no problems till before 1 month. Than sudenly i lost partitions on my HD. After that my bios cant find HD and need at least 15 min of restarting to find HD. I cant make clean install on win2k and xp. Disk says that Win2K and XP can not be instaled on boot sectors. I can instal them like second os. After running at most 15min on WinMe and 98se i hear some noise comming from HD the same noise i hear when i turn on my PC and when PC is going from stand by in active mode after that sistem is blocked. I cant make alt+ctrl+del restart and i have to restart it from case. After 4 or 5 blocking like this im loosing all partitions. Till now i have tryed everything. I update all drivers for every device and i update bios but with no sucess. Iv scaned PC with 3 difrent antivirus programs with latest updates for them and again nothing. When i run scandisk some times it shows that there are some bad sectors and somethimes not. when i run partition magic 7 it shows that there isnt any bad sector. Yesterday Iv run powermax maxtor tool for scaning disk and it shows that every part of the disk was in great condition. Today i lost partitions again. When i made new and formated disk i saw this mesage while formating:"trying to restore alocation units"
Whats is the problem. Till now i asked every man i new and none of them have a clue.
Sory for my bad english.
Thanks

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Damfino. Kinda sounds to me like maybe your HDD isn't good. Have you checked all your cable connections? Perhaps you have something loose.

Wabbit season! Duck season! AMD season! INTEL season!
Hmmmph--whatever...

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
You may have to do a low level format. Low level format is accessable only through the bios screen. After that you'll have to do a regular format/partitioning and re-load the OS.

If that doesn't work then I would recommend returning the HD. Maxtor has a pretty good return policy.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey R,
I can't say for sure(I am not a expert, just a geek), but in my limited experience, it sounds like your Power supply is bad. If your HDD does not get clean power, you will have all kinds of problems. I have not had many real HDD problems, but I have had many real cheap power supply going bad problems. How, many watts is your P/S? Go into your Bios, and check your Voltages or better yet just replace your P/S if it is less than 300 watts or more than a year old(if it is a cheapie). How old is it? On a different tangent, how much Ram are you running in your system? If you are sure it is your HDD, run the MaxBlast utillity and check your HDD's Health, then call Maxtor's Tech Support, Almost all HDD's are warrentied for 2 years. I hope this helps a little. Good Luck
Peace Out............tile

Keep Hope Alive!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ok, this problem sounds ike something that i encountered a while ago...
I was trying to reformat this old WD Caviar drive. it wouldnt take a format, or install...
it would detect sometimes, and when i ran the diagnostics, it passed with flying colors.
i couldnt understand it.
so i tried my old 10 gig Maxtor diamond max.
well, that drive did the same thing.
so i decided to try something i had thought wouldnt matter.
i pulled out the old IDE cable, and put in a new one.
wasnt even an ata-66 cable...
lo-and behold, it worked.
no more problems on either drive!
so try changing the ide cable!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Whell i cant replace HD. My warranty of 1 year pased this oct. And i dont have that tech suport like you have in U.S.
My friend tested this HD on his noname MB and he worked with no problems. But today i read on some posts on that MSI MB with KT133 chipsets have problems with disks and that they shows nonexisting bad sectors.
And I wanted to change MB win MSI with KT266A chipset. Now i just have to go with Asus.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
when you used it on your friends computer, did you use his cable, or yours?
and if there is a problem with the motherboard, then rule out the cable first.....if it is the cable, a new cable is less expensive than a new mobo, or hd.....

-DAvid

G

I just want to tell that i solwed my problem. I instal some small program and i set my disks jumpers like his slave but bios recognize that he is master.
If any one have the same problem i can send him this program just e-mail.

G

just wanted to mention that Ive got a freind with WinME and it wont let him format and install anyother OS .. Reason being? I heard somewhere that WinMe uses a different filesystem and in fact it totaly screws your HD and makes it so you cannot do a normal format or even install another os over it.. I cant remember what the solution was but Im betting that that little proggie you installed probably was able to eleminate the propietory file system of WinMe and get on the road to recovery...

I am a goober.. with just enough knowledge to be dangerous .. .. will you hold this for a sec?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
if you cant do fdisk, then that is a problem..but win me uses fat32, which win98 and winxp also use.
i dont know what you are talking about..
how can you tell that winme is the problem...did it give an error message?
because it might have been something else wrong.
i do know that when i tried winME, it screwed me over big time, requireing me to reformat and install good ol 98se.

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
if you cant do fdisk, then that is a problem..but win me uses fat32, which win98 and winxp also use.
i dont know what you are talking about..
how can you tell that winme is the problem...did it give an error message?
because it might have been something else wrong.
i do know that when i tried winME, it screwed me over big time, requireing me to reformat and install good ol 98se.
but it did let me fdisk, and format and then install win98se.
no problems.

-DAvid