Dialog boxes come up really slow since SP2

Renee

Ever since I upgraded to SP2, my dialog boxes like the "print" screen come up
extremely slow?? Also my computer is starting up extremely slow.

Any ideas?

Renee wrote:
> Sorry... I have check for any viruses, I have checked for any
> spyware. I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 and have updated bios and other
> drivers from Dell. I have clean my disk and all the other items that
> Microsoft suggested. Nothing has helped.

Well, I still suggest you should read the rest of the post.. Unless you
scanned with multiple AntiSpyware applications, you may have missed
something.

The Dell Drivers are not always the best for Video - I still suggest going
to the TRUE manufacturer there.. Usually ATI or Nvidia - sometimes you
might have gotten stuck with an Intel.

You didn't mention a chkdsk or defragment in there..

--
<- Shenan ->

Renee

Let me try a few more of your suggestions and I will post back. Thanks!

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Renee wrote:
> > Sorry... I have check for any viruses, I have checked for any
> > spyware. I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 and have updated bios and other
> > drivers from Dell. I have clean my disk and all the other items that
> > Microsoft suggested. Nothing has helped.
>
> Well, I still suggest you should read the rest of the post.. Unless you
> scanned with multiple AntiSpyware applications, you may have missed
> something.
>
> The Dell Drivers are not always the best for Video - I still suggest going
> to the TRUE manufacturer there.. Usually ATI or Nvidia - sometimes you
> might have gotten stuck with an Intel.
>
> You didn't mention a chkdsk or defragment in there..
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Renee

Shenan,

I have checked my system numerous times now with three different antispy
programs (Spybot, Ad-Aware and Microsoft) and have cleaned everything up
there. I have run chkdsk and defrag. Nothing is helping. My print dialog,
save dialog and just general dialog boxes take FOREVER to bring up. Any
other suggestions!!!

Thanks!

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Renee wrote:
> > Sorry... I have check for any viruses, I have checked for any
> > spyware. I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 and have updated bios and other
> > drivers from Dell. I have clean my disk and all the other items that
> > Microsoft suggested. Nothing has helped.
>
> Well, I still suggest you should read the rest of the post.. Unless you
> scanned with multiple AntiSpyware applications, you may have missed
> something.
>
> The Dell Drivers are not always the best for Video - I still suggest going
> to the TRUE manufacturer there.. Usually ATI or Nvidia - sometimes you
> might have gotten stuck with an Intel.
>
> You didn't mention a chkdsk or defragment in there..
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Shenan's advice was right on the money. IMHO, your problem lies here:

"I have checked my system numerous times now with three different antispy
programs...and have cleaned everything up there.

The creatures who write spyware (I don't consider them human) don't care if
their software creates problems for you. You may be able to remove the
spyware, but sometimes doing so will damage your system. Looks like that's
what may have happened to you.

Have you got a recent restore point made before you installed the spyware?

Modem Ani

"Renee" <renee@news.postalias> wrote in message
> Shenan,
>
> I have checked my system numerous times now with three different antispy
> programs (Spybot, Ad-Aware and Microsoft) and have cleaned everything up
> there. I have run chkdsk and defrag. Nothing is helping. My print
dialog,
> save dialog and just general dialog boxes take FOREVER to bring up. Any
> other suggestions!!!
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
> > Renee wrote:
> > > Sorry... I have check for any viruses, I have checked for any
> > > spyware. I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 and have updated bios and other
> > > drivers from Dell. I have clean my disk and all the other items that
> > > Microsoft suggested. Nothing has helped.
> >
> > Well, I still suggest you should read the rest of the post.. Unless you
> > scanned with multiple AntiSpyware applications, you may have missed
> > something.
> >
> > The Dell Drivers are not always the best for Video - I still suggest
going
> > to the TRUE manufacturer there.. Usually ATI or Nvidia - sometimes you
> > might have gotten stuck with an Intel.
> >
> > You didn't mention a chkdsk or defragment in there..
> >
> > --
> > <- Shenan ->
> > --
> > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Renee

I do not have a restore point back that far. Dell has suggested that I
uninstall XP2. I don't know what to do, it is just running terribly.

"Modem Ani" wrote:

> Shenan's advice was right on the money. IMHO, your problem lies here:
>
> "I have checked my system numerous times now with three different antispy
> programs...and have cleaned everything up there.
>
> The creatures who write spyware (I don't consider them human) don't care if
> their software creates problems for you. You may be able to remove the
> spyware, but sometimes doing so will damage your system. Looks like that's
> what may have happened to you.
>
> Have you got a recent restore point made before you installed the spyware?
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Renee" <renee@news.postalias> wrote in message
> > Shenan,
> >
> > I have checked my system numerous times now with three different antispy
> > programs (Spybot, Ad-Aware and Microsoft) and have cleaned everything up
> > there. I have run chkdsk and defrag. Nothing is helping. My print
> dialog,
> > save dialog and just general dialog boxes take FOREVER to bring up. Any
> > other suggestions!!!
> >
> > Thanks!

> > > Well, I still suggest you should read the rest of the post.. Unless you
> > > scanned with multiple AntiSpyware applications, you may have missed
> > > something.
> > >
> > > The Dell Drivers are not always the best for Video - I still suggest
> going
> > > to the TRUE manufacturer there.. Usually ATI or Nvidia - sometimes you
> > > might have gotten stuck with an Intel.
> > >
> > > You didn't mention a chkdsk or defragment in there..
> > >
> > > --
> > > <- Shenan ->
> > > --
> > > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> > > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> > > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> > > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

Inspiron 8500 Software Reinstall Guide
http://tinyurl.com/4dybm

> I do not have a restore point back that far. Dell has suggested that I
> uninstall XP2. I don't know what to do, it is just running terribly.
>
> "Modem Ani" wrote:
>
> > Shenan's advice was right on the money. IMHO, your problem lies here:
> >
> > "I have checked my system numerous times now with three different
antispy
> > programs...and have cleaned everything up there.
> >
> > The creatures who write spyware (I don't consider them human) don't care
if
> > their software creates problems for you. You may be able to remove the
> > spyware, but sometimes doing so will damage your system. Looks like
that's
> > what may have happened to you.
> >
> > Have you got a recent restore point made before you installed the
spyware?

> > Modem Ani
> >
> > "Renee" <renee@news.postalias> wrote in message
> > > Shenan,
> > >
> > > I have checked my system numerous times now with three different
antispy
> > > programs (Spybot, Ad-Aware and Microsoft) and have cleaned everything
up
> > > there. I have run chkdsk and defrag. Nothing is helping. My print
> > dialog,
> > > save dialog and just general dialog boxes take FOREVER to bring up.
Any
> > > other suggestions!!!
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> > going

Renee

Are you saying my ONLY opinion is to totally reinstall??? :-(

"Modem Ani" wrote:

> Inspiron 8500 Software Reinstall Guide
> http://tinyurl.com/4dybm
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Renee" <renee@news.postalias> wrote in message
> > I do not have a restore point back that far. Dell has suggested that I
> > uninstall XP2. I don't know what to do, it is just running terribly.
> >
> > "Modem Ani" wrote:
> >
> > > Shenan's advice was right on the money. IMHO, your problem lies here:
> > >
> > > "I have checked my system numerous times now with three different
> antispy
> > > programs...and have cleaned everything up there.
> > >
> > > The creatures who write spyware (I don't consider them human) don't care
> if
> > > their software creates problems for you. You may be able to remove the
> > > spyware, but sometimes doing so will damage your system. Looks like
> that's
> > > what may have happened to you.
> > >
> > > Have you got a recent restore point made before you installed the
> spyware?
> > >
> > > Modem Ani
> > >
> > > "Renee" <renee@news.postalias> wrote in message

> antispy
> up
> > > dialog,
> Any

> other
> that

> you

> > > going
> you

> for

Yes. You've tried every suggestion that's been made to you and everything
you can think of on your own, all to no avail. There's no magic bullet to
cure a computer from the damage caused by spyware.

> Are you saying my ONLY opinion is to totally reinstall??? :-(
>
> "Modem Ani" wrote:
>
> > Inspiron 8500 Software Reinstall Guide
> > http://tinyurl.com/4dybm
> >
> > Modem Ani
> >
> > "Renee" <renee@news.postalias> wrote in message
> > > I do not have a restore point back that far. Dell has suggested that
> > > uninstall XP2. I don't know what to do, it is just running terribly.

> > antispy

> > if
> > that's

> > spyware?

> > antispy
> > up
> > Any

> > other
> > that

Unless
> > you

> > you

> > for

Renee

Thanks. I will have to find all my software before I even go there as I have
little things here and there installed that I have to have.

Thanks again!

Renee

"Modem Ani" wrote:

> Yes. You've tried every suggestion that's been made to you and everything
> you can think of on your own, all to no avail. There's no magic bullet to
> cure a computer from the damage caused by spyware.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Renee" <renee@news.postalias> wrote in message
> > Are you saying my ONLY opinion is to totally reinstall??? :-(
> >
> > "Modem Ani" wrote:
> >
> > > Inspiron 8500 Software Reinstall Guide
> > > http://tinyurl.com/4dybm
> > >
> > > Modem Ani
> > >
> > > "Renee" <renee@news.postalias> wrote in message

> here:

> > > antispy

> care
> > > if
> the
> > > that's

> > > spyware?

> > > antispy
> everything
> > > up
> print
> up.
> > > Any

> and
> > > other
> items
> > > that

> Unless
> > > you
> missed

> suggest
> sometimes
> > > you

> research
> > > for
> are

Take it slowly, and make sure you backup everything that even might be
important to you.

Now's the time to learn about disk imaging software, which will make an
exact copy of your hard disk or any partition in minutes. The backups can
happen 'in the background' while you are working, and you can schedule them
to happen automatically. Should you ever find yourself in a pickle, you can
restore a known good image in minutes and be back on your way.

> Thanks. I will have to find all my software before I even go there as I
have
> little things here and there installed that I have to have.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Renee
>
> "Modem Ani" wrote:
>
> > Yes. You've tried every suggestion that's been made to you and
everything
> > you can think of on your own, all to no avail. There's no magic bullet
> > cure a computer from the damage caused by spyware.
> >
> > Modem Ani
> >
> > "Renee" <renee@news.postalias> wrote in message
> > > Are you saying my ONLY opinion is to totally reinstall??? :-(

> > here:

don't
> > care
> > the

> > everything
> > print
> > up.

> > and
> > items

> > Unless
> > missed

> > suggest
> > sometimes

> > research
> > are

Nobody is noticing that Renee said the problem started "since SP2".

I, like her, have been experiencing horrible delays in the dialog boxes...
SINCE SP2. It was sudden and definite. There is no spyware and no
unavailable network drives. It's SP2. Perhaps the interaction between SP2
and something else, but I *totally reinstalled everything* and the problem
remains. Obviously SP2 is at fault.