Editing system setup help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
My wife is/was into video editing, but she does not have a clue about what is happening with her compuer hardware when the editing is going on... and she expects me to just handle it... so I need to know exactly what is going on when Adobe Premier is running and a project is being worked on... capturing, editing, scratch disk, etc., I need to know how to set up my computer...

I have my OS on a 120GB WD, and it has a few partitions...

I just boughtnba 250GB Seagate for storage...

I also have a RAID0 made from two Maxtor 80GB drives...

Where should I capture to... where should I edit my projects at... If premier is installed on my OS drive, and a project file is saved there, where are the large video files saved at... where should my scratch disk be located...

These seem to be hard questions to find answers for, for I have been searching... thanks...

<font color=red><b>NF7-S/MBarton 2500+
210x11.5 1.82v SP-97
GB Corsair XMS PC3200
BBA 9800 Pro 423/369</font color=red><font color=black>
NF7-S/MBarton 2600+
210x11.5 1.76v
512MB CVR PC3200
Sapphire 9500@9700

pat

Expert
I would capture and edit on the RAID, use the 250gigs for storage of finished work and multimedia files. The scratch disk could be the RAID array if Premiere is run from the OS disk. trials and testing will give you better answer, IMHO. Built the thing, and have your wife to play with and if there is something wrong, come back here. If it is anything that cant be fixed, then upgrade to wife 2.0... newer version need less resourses to operate..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
newer and younger... good idea...

<font color=red><b>NF7-S/MBarton 2500+
210x11.5 1.82v SP-97
GB Corsair XMS PC3200
NF7-S/MBarton 2600+
210x11.5 1.76v
512MB CVR PC3200
Sapphire 9500@9700

TAZ

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
the optimal setup for premier is to have the software on one drive and the footage to be edited on another. during rendering/transcoding you want to be storing the output file on a seperate HD to the original footage also.

raid0 will give you redundancy which i am a fan of, but i recall having a discussion with Pat before and he prefers the speed of raid1 - really depends on the size of the projects you are dealing with, most of mine are 30GB+ in original footage so i could prob use the speed but still prefer the redundancy of the raid0 array.

the scratch disk is best set to any disk other than the disk the software and OS are on.

my advice for the optimal setup is OS and software on one disk, seperate large disk for the footage, seperate smaller disk for file output. and when i say disk i mean actualy physical disk, not partition.

as i said, this is the optimal setup, it is not necessary to have this elaborate a setup but it will allow the program to run at its full potential and will mean there are no bottlenecks in the data transfer at any point.

i'd also advise a good beefy processor and 2GB of ram. my system has a P4 3GHz which performs well apart from the heat it produces. i've discussed the potential for the likes of a dual core processor with the guys here but seem to get conflicting answers as to wether it will speed up rendering times or will just allow me to continue to use the system during rendering - for the moment i would say a good fast AMD64 is the best bet, the benchmarks still say P4 has the edge but they aren't worth the hassle for the heat they produce - i had to get a standalone air-con unit and pipe it to the case to keep mine under 53C when it's rendering - and i have a decent lian-li case!!

pat

Expert
Dual core CPU would speed up apps only if they are designed to use more than one CPU or are multithreaded. Normal apps wont see any increase in speed, but the free processor will be useful to run other apps without slowing donw the other.

RAID0 actually is stripping while RAID1 is redundancy.. You mixed the two in your post

You are right about physical drive instead of partition. A cheap 40 gigs can be a good scratch/output drive as they can be bought at about 40$ now.

Another point is a PSU. having the processor/hdd running and working need stable current for stable operation. And a more powerful PSU wont heat up as much as a weak one..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

rhbourque

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2003
<b>NF7-S/MBarton 2500+
210x11.5 1.82v SP-97
GB Corsair XMS PC3200
NF7-S/MBarton 2600+
210x11.5 1.76v
512MB CVR PC3200
Sapphire 9500@9700

First. Your processor is good enough for editing. You need at least another 512mb stick. trust me. Read toms article on "How much memory is enough"
What i have setup is to use my raid for temp files and the big hard drive for storage.
Something else all dvd/video editors might want to look at is the iram pci card from gigabyte. It should prove to be a boon for editing time.
Hey TOM...could you do a peice on video editing for us???
Test different setups...
Raid 0
gigabytes i ram
Memory specs.
Different softwares with dual core capability?

Thanks

Hope your listening...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS