Which P4 Mobo 845 should I get?

G

Hi all,

Someone is thinking of getting a P4 system soon and I was wondering if the helpful people in this forum would recommend some good Mobo with a P4 1.7 Gighz

All that is needed from the board is something that is stable and fast. Looking to get the SD-Ram version as I feel the 850 chipset is way too expensive with the ram.

Doesn't require raid.

Some suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
RDRAM is relatively inexpensive now and gives you at least a 30% performance improvement. If you really want SDRAM with an Intel, smart money is on the PIII or the Celeron 1200. P4 performance is not that great to begin with for it's rated speed, SDRAM hampering it by 30% or more makes the P4 1700 slower than a PIII 1000.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

No kidding.... Slower than a PIII 1000? I had no idea.. DANG.. Thanks for that Crashman.. I guess it's RD-Ram than.

So which MOBO do you recommend then? No raid, just stable and fast operation.

Thanks again.

Mike

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The P4 1.4GHZ was slower than a PIII 1000. SDRAM gives a 30% performance hit, so a P4 2.0GHz gets P4 1.4GHz scores, which means it's slower than a PIII 1000. Hmmm.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
The SiS 645 board for the Pentium 4 supports DDR 333 and offers performance equal to or sometimes better then the I850 with RDRAM. You could also try the P4266A

Charlie

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Intel allows Motherboard Manufacturer to ship 845 motherboard with DDR on 12/16. It is good idea to wait for them.

You can currently buy motherboards sporting either the Via P4X266 or SiS 645 chipsets. Both pair a P4 with DDR, the latter includes support for PC2700 and has been shown to be faster than the i850 in some benchmarks. It will very possibly outperform the i845D.
Also, the P4X266<font color=red>a</font color=red> will be coming out soon.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
consider S478 i850 motherboards
Yes, do make sure you get an S478 board.

The SIS boards have been getting good reviews, and SIS tends to me more stable than Via. If you want to save money though, I would wait till January, and get the I845 DDR boards. Otherwise, RDRAM in a I850 will work.

As for which specific board to use, I have found ASUS to be rock solid in speed and reliability.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I read from interview with motherboard manufacture states that 845 perform better than SiS 645 even 845 only supports PC2100. Intel chipset usually have less problem too.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is better get an Intel chipset. Intel chipset have less problem than VIA chipset and SiS chipset.
The only reason to get Intel processor is that Intel produce better chipset. If you want to get VIA or SiS chipset you should just get AMD CPU. AMD CPU have price/performance ratio.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I read from interview with motherboard manufacture states that 845 perform better than SiS 645 even 845 only supports PC2100.

My statement of their respective performance was pure conjecture, but I am interested in where you saw that. If you can find it again, I'd be grateful.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would have to say (after my venture of building a P4) to buy as many RIMM's as you can. That's if you go that route. I've got a P4 socket 423 with 128MB of RamBus on a MSI 850Pro Mobo. To do any serious gaming I need way more RAM. I have my AMD stacked and I move to the P4 and it's a dog! I plan on getting about 512MB of RAMBus, but it will run me close to $200. The gaming will be awesome then!

To tell you the truth RTC Wolfenstein runs fairly well, tell someone starts shooting at me! LOL 128MB RAM is the Minimum system requirement also.

Also, off the subject. My P4 with the stock heatsink runs the same temp idle as my AMD does with a aftermarket GlobalWin FOP38 heatsink. I'm looking at getting the Zalman 5000 XTream heatsink for the Socket 423 so I can run cooler. Pretty sweet cooler.

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Granted that the SiS 645 based motherboards will be cheaper, but considering how reliable the first round of 845 motherboards were and the early proclamation of the 845 being the "next BX chipset" by most manufacturers in Taiwan, it will be difficult to justify the 645.

That's the only thing I could find on Anandtech, talking about how the 845D will probably be more stable.