Advice on building new sys- 1600XP 8KHA+

r1013

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2001
I need some advice on building my first system. Here are my plans as of now.

Athlon 1600
Epox 8KHA+
Memory- Crucial pc2100 DDR (2 -256MB sticks)
Power- 350 - 400 watts Antec?
Thermalright sk-6 or Alpha Pal8045 with 80mm's
HD Maxtor 13 GB (temporary)
Plextor 8/4/32A
Links 10/100 NIC
Sound card? 8KHA+ on board for now.
GeForce 2? Or 3 if the prices drop some more or I find a really good deal.
Win XP Pro

I have read that the heatsink that comes with the 1600 XP is ok but not the best. Should I by an after market heatsink? If so which do I use? I read on the forums that Thermalright sk-6 & Alpha Pal8045 are really good? But I have also heard that the 8045 won't fit the 8KHA+ without modification. If I use one of them what type of fan should I get? I do prefer a system that’s quite as possible but I'm willing to sway either direction for a product that's known to be very good.

I read in the forums that AMD recommends a 340W psu. If that’s the case then I need 350-400 watts right? If this is true what brand should I choose? (I here Antec mentioned a lot). If that’s not correct, what watts, brand ECT… should I look for.

Any advise on a case. I'm not looking for anything fancy. I just want something that’s got plenty of room for upgrades, 3-4 front slots for drives, and a power supply that will work with the mobo above. I found a good size case with a 400-watt power supply Here (http://www.linkpca.com/stanatxcas.html), for about $50.00 but I'm not sure how good it is. I'm open for suggestions. I prefer the case to stay close to $50.00 or less but that all depends on your comments. The power and case don't necessarily have to come together either.

What about extra fans in the case for cooling? Brands, size, number, & location on the case?

I also have a few concerns about placing the heatsink ECT. I have read many times to use Artic Silver II so that’s ingrained in my brain, but is their a site with good instructions for putting all this together. I have changed out my wife's HD, graphics card, & NIC but I just never built everything from scratch.

Graphics card? I Like what I read about the GeForce. But there are several different versions of 2 & 3. I work with AutoCAD & PhotoShop quite a bit but I also love to play the latest games. Although I don't currently I would also like to do a little video editing this year if I find the time. I am leaning toward the GeForce 2 instead of 3 because of the price difference. Then maybe in the next 6-8 months GeForce 3 prices will drop, but give me your suggestions on cards and brands.

Any suggestions on sound cards? I was going to get a sound blaster live but I'm not sure. For the next 2-3 months I'm planning on using the on board sound.

I looked at Crucial for memory but I didn't see Epox as a mfg. Listed. Most people here have pc2100 DDR listed for 8KHA+ & 1600XP. A few have pc2400. Which one should I use? Does anyone know the exact part number @ crucial for 8KHA+ memory?

Sorry so long I'm just itchy to place an order, and I had several questions… Plus I'm ready to move from this Pent II 400 MHz Voodoo Banchee thingy.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by r1013 on 12/06/01 05:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
If you want an very good (and silent) powersupply you can get an Enermax (whisper edition).
If you have a powersupply with two fans in it you only nead one extra casefan in the bottom front, otherwise I recommend one in the upper rear too.
PC2400 DDR RAM is only needed if you want to overclock your system to higher FSB speeds, otherwise PC2100 will be fine.

Hope this answers some questions.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
First of all, be advised that most of your questions are <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869,00.html" target="_new">addressed by AMD</A>.

If you don't plan on overclocking, the retail box HSF will do just fine, and its the only Athlon cooling solution that will preserve your factory warranty! If you are going to OC (and get a beefier HSF), it's smarter to buy an OEM CPU, which is less expensive (but doesn't come with a factory warranty).

A quality power supply is essential to prevent all sorts of problems, so check the above reference for AMD-approved PSUs.

If you decide on an Antec PSU (they are very good), you may want to consider an Antec case as they come furnished with a PSU. The amount of case cooling you need depends on such things as whether or not you will be OC'ing, and the number/size of memory modules and drives you're planning to install in the case (Photoshop loves lots of memory and multiple HDDs).

As a Photoshop nut, I can tell you that while GeForce 2/3 boards are preferred for games, they aren't too good for Photoshop (i.e., they don't deliver the greatest 2D image-quality). Matrox cards are the very best for 2D image-quality, but they suck for gaming. Radeon cards may be the best compromise to satisfy both areas.

The on-board AC97 sound will get you by until you can get something better. I think the Audigy X-Gamer is a really good sound card (and as a bonus, it includes a firewire port).

BTW, Crucial has PC2100 DIMMs (which are good enough) for Epox listed on their site; better check again.

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I build systems often and I might be able to help you out.

I would stick with the AMD hs/fan that they give you, it will work fine and its AMD certified. Otherwise the next easiest thing is a Thermaltake Volcano 6. They are quiet if you get the 4000rpm one and AMD certified up to 1900+.

On PSU, I have tried most of them and have a Enermax for myself but have used Antecs. I would recommend a 350watt Enermax, I have the whisper quiet one with two fans and picked it up for $65. There is nothing wrong with antec psu's though.
Since you need a case though, I prefer Antec cases. I use one, a SX600. I would get a SX630, they come with a Antec PSU. They aren't certified but Antec makes quality stuff and it will work fine. I use them for systems all the time (the antec sx630/psu combos) you can get the combo for $65, a good deal. The cases are some of the better ones BTW.

On fans I don't think it really matters, I use some fans from 3dcool.com but I've heard some not great things about those guys but I find their fans pushing good air and quiet. YSTech is the fan on my alpha heatsink and Delta fans are 'the best' but to loud for me. Just make sure you get a decent brand (sunon,ystech,delta,3dcool seems like fine fans also).

Your correct about the graphics boards, the Geforce 2 is about all you need right now. The extra money spent on a Geforce 3 is essentially wasted unless you play Return to Castle Wolfenstein, a fun game but not worth buying a GF3 for.
Get a Geforce 2 GTS-V from newegg.com for $65. Its the best deal on the market, nvidia cards are excellent for graphics design and most people will tell you they are the best overall cards. That GTS-V from newegg is a visiontek btw, a reputable company its the same one I'm using right now. They are slightly underclocked from normal GTS (notice the V for value) but every GTS-V 'overclocks' to normal GTS speeds (200core/333mem) with no visual artifacts.
I would recommend a GF3 when the price drops some but right now I don't see the absolute need unless your a bigtime gamer or just need the best. I play all the new games myself, Max Payne, Sacrifice, Black and White and the card is fast.

On the thermal compound, I use arctic silver, I'm sure the new AS 2 is some of the best you can get. Thats what I'd get if I was going to order some.

On sound if you don't have expensive speakers ($200+) use the onboard sound. Usually AC97 sound is fine for most people. I have a sound blaster audigy and love it but I use my computer as a TV/stereo/whatnot.

If crucial doesnt have your memory check Kingston, they are excellent also.

Phew! ok i hope i helped you out.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Since you said that you "work with AutoCAD and PhotoShop quite a bit", I would echo what pvsurfer said about not getting any GF video card. I would also agree with him that ATI Radeons provide a better solution for 2D and 3D.