BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router

Jixim

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Hello, been a while since I've posted here, but the times I posted in the past, folks have been really nice and very helpful!

I have a BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router that has been working flawlessley for about six months or so. In the past several weeks to a month, I've been having trouble staying online in games such as EQ and DAoC. I keep on going link-dead (the [game] client stops receiving information from the host).

When I connect directly to my cable modem (from AT&T), I can stay on for hours and hours if I want to. When I introduce the router I get random LD's (link-deaths). After I get out of the program, I have no connectivity to the Internet: I either have to reboot ~both~ machines or disable the network connection on both machines (I'm running XP and Win2k, btw). On the XP machine, I'll run the Repair option and that ends up restoring the connection w/o rebooting.

I ~have~ swapped the cable running between the router and the cable modem for a new cable. Now LD's only happens occasionally.

I ~may~ upgdate the firmware to the most recent as I have the version before. Either that or I re-do the firmware update to see if that works.

Any advice would be greatly appeciated.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
have you power cycled the router? i have to do that once in a while with mine. just unplug the power for 10 sec and plug it back in. upgrading the firmware is a good idea in any case.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Jixim

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
I've power-cycled the router, reset it, all that jazz. So far it's behaving itself with the new cable.

*shrug* I dunno, if it happens again, I'll either repost or reply here... :eek:

TexanGod

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
I used to have a BEFSR41, but it would freeze when forwarding to my web server, so I tried to upgrade the firmware, and completly [beep] it up. So I had to replace it. I went to Office Depot and they said the company discontinued that product. So instead I got a D-Link 604. It was cheaper, and seems to have better functionality.

--------Sig--------
If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.
I'm too busy acting like I'm not naive, I've seen it all, I was here first

sbolinger2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Hey Jimix:
I have the same router(linksys befsr41 v.2 firmware 1.43), and was having a exact same problem. I'm not a networking guru, but I did solve the problem. I disabled all the settings in the "filters" menu, and disabled UpNp. My connectivity has been great ever since. I play WarcraftIII all the time now with no problems(I did have to open a port manually though to serve games). Good luck to you!
sbolinger2