DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Is the Upgrade version of XP Home or Pro, the same as the full version, ie. identicle except that the upgrade checks for a previous Windows OS.

If it is the same, I wonder why it is considerably cheaper?

I assume also that a clean instal option can be done with the upgrade, instead of a "mixed instal" with the previous OS - in my case WinME?

Also, I noticed that there is a Student Upgrade version of XP Pro. I wonder how that differs - it is cheaper again?

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

riser

Illustrious
I think there is an update for Home and Pro.. which has to match with your previous version.

You can do a clean install with the upgrade CD, but you need to have your WinME CD available as it will want to read off that CD to perform the install.

The Student Upgrade version is considerable cheaper because the licensing agreement states you can only use it while you're a student in school and some other stuff. It's the exact samething except it's EULA (end user licensing agreement) is significantly different, along with probably not getting full support for future updates/upgrades.

I don't recommend going with the student version of the upgrade.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Upgrade version is the same software as a new license version, except that it checks to be sure you have the older version - either by upgrading the existing windows on your computer or requiring you to insert the original CD from the older version.

Its considerably cheaper because you've already purchased the older version of windows. The full version is full price because its intended market is a new computer without an operating system - or with a different OS.

Every windows upgrade I've done would work (Haven't done an upgrade to XP - but I'm sure it still works) on a clean disk by having the old version CD handy for verification.

Student version is for current students (and maybe faculty), and I think there's a stipulation about only being valid while you're a student.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Home or Pro version of Win2000.
Would the home version of Win2k be.... WinME????

There was just Pro and server versions of Win2k. :smile:

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

RichPLS

Champion
Would the home version of Win2k be.... WinME????
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LMAO!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS