Closed

NTFS cluster size

On installing XP over 98 I converted from FAT32 to NTFS.

Unfortunately I now have 512 byte cluster size, which according to most
people should be 4K. I should say that the part of the micorsoft website
where I was advised to use "convert" made no mention of potential cluster
size problems.

Anyway. Is there any way round this other than reformatiing the disk, which
abviously means reinstalling everything I have (which I don't fancy much)?

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about ntfs cluster size

    Partition Magic 8.0 has the capability to change cluster sizes.
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "sealpup" wrote:

    | On installing XP over 98 I converted from FAT32 to NTFS.
    |
    | Unfortunately I now have 512 byte cluster size, which according to most
    | people should be 4K. I should say that the part of the micorsoft website
    | where I was advised to use "convert" made no mention of potential cluster
    | size problems.
    |
    | Anyway. Is there any way round this other than reformatiing the disk, which
    | abviously means reinstalling everything I have (which I don't fancy much)?
    |
    | Thanks.

    512 clusters instead of 4K is NOT a problem, and should
    be considered a benefit. The benefit is that hard drive
    space is used more efficiently and, therefore, all else
    being equal you should have more "free space". The only
    downside to 512 is that you will likely have more
    fragmentation, however, that too could be easily resolved
    by simply defragmenting more often.

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:11:01 -0800, "Hal R"

    >512 clusters instead of 4K is NOT a problem, and should
    >be considered a benefit. The benefit is that hard drive
    >space is used more efficiently and, therefore, all else
    >being equal you should have more "free space". The only
    >downside to 512 is that you will likely have more
    >fragmentation, however, that too could be easily resolved
    >by simply defragmenting more often.

    In practice, folks find this a major performance drawback.

    There's a bit more to optimal cluster size than how much free HD space
    you get back. It amuses me to see the same ppl waving this around
    that also let IE consume 256M+ space for cache, per user account.

    Any idea how long it will take to "simply" defragging one big 120G C:
    that's held as a large number of 152-byte clusters?

    How "often" would you like to have to to that, and how well do you
    expect it to work? Gah.

    Hmmm... what was the *other* idea?
  4. Is there a way to change cluster size from 4K to 512Meg?

    Thank you,
    Chandler
  5. ^512Meg????!!!! if you had 512megs per cluster your operating system would take up a TB of space lol...i hope you meant 512k. And either way NTFS supports 64k max.

    Anyway: To the OP: There are some apps like Partition Magic that can change cluster size. I highly recommend you do this because 512k clusters will result in very heavy file system fragmentation and will lower the performance of your file system also.

    Oh I just realized, WHY ARE YOU THREAD NECROING!!! CMON, this thread is from 2005...
  6. blackhawk1928 said:
    ^512Meg????!!!! if you had 512megs per cluster your operating system would take up a TB of space lol...i hope you meant 512k. And either way NTFS supports 64k max.

    Anyway: To the OP: There are some apps like Partition Magic that can change cluster size. I highly recommend you do this because 512k clusters will result in very heavy file system fragmentation and will lower the performance of your file system also.

    Oh I just realized, WHY ARE YOU THREAD NECROING!!! CMON, this thread is from 2005...

    Actually I've been asked to see if I can change the cluster size from 4k to 512bytes, not Megs, thank you for catching that.

    We are looking for a more efficient use of file space, I'll let my boss know.

    What is NECROING?

    Thanks,
    Chandler
  7. Necroing, or thread necromancy, is bumping a thread that hasn't been posted in for a long time. In this case, 4 years. Start a new thread rather than bumping something this old.

NTFS Microsoft Windows XP