To build computer with Soyo Dragon+

lckystar

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
I am going to build my first computer and hope to start gathering parts this weekend (8 Dec 01). I want to use the Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus and have questions before I purchase.
1. On-line manual refers to Dragon in some places and Dragon Plus in others. Also mentions 100/133 FSB where the AlthonXP is for 266 FSB. Is there a Dragon board that is 100/133 and a Plus board that is 266 without overclocking the FSB, or are they one in the same. I am confused by the discrepancies.

2. Does anyone have any comment on possible hardware conflicts with equipment below:
a. Antec SX635 ATX Case with 350 PS.
b. AlthonXP 1700+
c. Gainward CardExpert GeForce2 MX TwinView/Vivo Golden Sample AGP Graphics
d. Samsung 19" SyncMaster 950p Monitor.
e. Award Tech 56k V.90 PCI FaxModem (only as backup as I use BellSouth DSL line).
f. Western Digital 40GB EIDE Ultra ATA100 7200 RPM HD
g. Yamaha 20/10/40 CRW2200EZ CD-RW
h. Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
i. Probably a DVD/CD-ROM of some kind.
j. 512MB DDR SDRAM PC2100(?) Unbuffered Non-ECC (right?)

I think this will put together a very good system. I have had computer wizards at work look at it and they see no problems, but I would feel much better if I had some comments from people that may have actually used some of these components or combinations thereof.

PLEASE take a moment to comment on this if you have experience before I start pulling parts together.

Thanks in advance

John

svol

Champion
The 100/133 MHz FSB is in reality 200/266, this is because there are two cycles in each clock pulse (or something like that) so: 2*100 and 2*133= 200 and 266. So they are the same.
PC 2100 is the DDR memory for the 266 FSB so that is ok.

Further I don't see any problems, good system I think.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Uh-oh - that monitor looks like it could cause some real nasty IRQ conflicts. Better stick with a nice stable 14 incher. :smile: (only kidding)

/turn kidding off now

Might be best to leave out the modem as you really don't need it unless your DSL is VERY unreliable (my Verizon doesn't ever give me any problems but I know others experience outages).

On-line manual refers to Dragon in some places and Dragon Plus in others. Also mentions 100/133 FSB where the AlthonXP is for 266 FSB. Is there a Dragon board that is 100/133 and a Plus board that is 266 without overclocking the FSB, or are they one in the same. I am confused by the discrepancies.
Typical Pacific basin manufacturers manual. They don't really ever spend any time proofreading their documantation. Most likely they just took a Dragon manual, and edited it into a Dragin Plus manual, and never really looked it over.

I usually find some real comical butchering of the English language in these. Good for some laughs.

Enjoy your board - mine should arrive early next week.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

lckystar

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
Thanks for comments. Only reasons I was going to put the modem in are: (1) got it free with rebate from Best Buys and (2) the existing DSL modem that I have on current computer, if I swap it to the one I build, will have to have a driver download from BellSouth to work with WindowsXP and I might need to download it direct to the computer it is to be used on (might need the old 56K just to do that unless I can download the file on old computer and save to transfer to new one). Other alternative is probably to purchase another dsl modem from BellSouth (got current one free when I signed up).

Thanks again. Have done some work inside before, but never build from scratch. Looking forward to challenge.

John

srstudios

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2001
In case you don't know, the Dragon uses VIA KT266 chipset while the Dragon Plus uses the new VIA KT266A chipset. Be sure to get the A chipset. Also, do you know if Soyo offers any warranty on that board or have you found a retailer with a warranty? Have you read the post just up the page from here "Stability issues with Soyo Dragon"? I don't think he said it was a Plus, but you might check it out.

G

1) If you're going to spend the ~$100 on the Gainward Golden sample why don't you go for a GF2 GTS or Pro video card? They cost about the same!
2) I'd probably go for a Seagate Barracuda IV instead of the WD. The Seagate Barr IV is supposed to be quieter and an overall better performer.

I agre with the previous posters that you the system shouldn't have any compatibility issues.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would buy the larger Antec case, the SX835k I believe. I prefer larger cases unless portability is a concern. Larger cases also are easier to keep cool due to the space around components that sort of insulates them from one another.
Good Luck, Take-Out.

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)