Optimising the registry

In Windows ME it was possible to boot to DOS and do a scanreg /fix to
optimise the registry.

Is there a simple and safe way to optimise and compact the registry in
Windows XP sp2 Home Edition without having to buy additional utilities?

Thanks for any help,
Paul
5 answers Last reply
More about optimising registry

    Replaced by System Restore.

    "Paul" wrote:

    > In Windows ME it was possible to boot to DOS and do a scanreg /fix to
    > optimise the registry.
    >
    > Is there a simple and safe way to optimise and compact the registry in
    > Windows XP sp2 Home Edition without having to buy additional utilities?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Paul

    Yes, in the sense that there is no longer a need to repair the registry with
    System Restore, but I thought that a scanreg /fix rebuilt the registry
    compacting it in the process. I was wondering whether there is a way of
    compacting the registry in XP.

    Cheers,
    Paul

    "r" wrote:

    > Replaced by System Restore.
    >

    > "Paul" wrote:
    >
    > > In Windows ME it was possible to boot to DOS and do a scanreg /fix to
    > > optimise the registry.
    > >
    > > Is there a simple and safe way to optimise and compact the registry in
    > > Windows XP sp2 Home Edition without having to buy additional utilities?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help,
    > > Paul

    Performed by XP.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    > Yes, in the sense that there is no longer a need to repair the registry
    with
    > System Restore, but I thought that a scanreg /fix rebuilt the registry
    > compacting it in the process. I was wondering whether there is a way of
    > compacting the registry in XP.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Paul
    >
    > "r" wrote:
    >
    > > Replaced by System Restore.
    > >

    > > "Paul" wrote:
    > >
    > > > In Windows ME it was possible to boot to DOS and do a scanreg /fix to
    > > > optimise the registry.
    > > >
    > > > Is there a simple and safe way to optimise and compact the registry in
    > > > Windows XP sp2 Home Edition without having to buy additional
    utilities?

    > > > Thanks for any help,
    > > > Paul

    Do you have a source for this? It doesn't surprise me if, in fact, XP
    handles its own registry cleaning and optimizing -- but this is the first
    time I have heard of such a thing. Usually the discussion or debate on this
    topic is whether third party registry cleaners or optimizers actually do any
    good, or even if they often end up doing more harm than good.

    "la_bruin@nospam.msn.com" wrote:

    > Good news!

    > There's a free tool that does what you'd like for Windows
    > XP Professional called NTREGOPT. It take a few minutes
    > but it rebuilds the registry top down and effectively
    > compresses the entire database. The end result is a
    > registry that is substantially smaller, saves disk space,
    > and potentially quickens registry access. Give it a
    > try. I think you'll be impressed.

    I have used NTREGOPT before. It never caused harm to my system, but whether
    it resulted in any transparent (measurable and noticable) improvements in
    performance is another matter.

    [...]

    > If you'd like a tool that defrags the registry (and all
    > the other system files) use PAGEDFRG.EXE from
    > SysInternals. It's a great tool that helps kick
    > performance up a notch if you can't afford Diskeeper 9 by
    > defragging the page file, the registry, and other system
    > components.

    I'm using Diskeeper 9. Right now, it is the only third party tool that I
    use that is specifically intended to improve Windows XP performance, and even
    then only because it is a more souped up version of the built in defragger.
    In particular, I like the Set It and Forget It feature, and I also like the
    feature that measures the performance gains that you can expect to achieve by
    using Diskeeper. To be sure, I also like PerfectDisk, and if Diskeeper
    didn't exist I would probably use PerfectDisk. But as far as
    performance-enhancing utilities go, that's it for me.

    [...]

    > Now, if you'd like a tool that cleans out irrelevant keys
    > & values from the registry, there's a slew of tools that
    > do the job...

    I have used many of them in the past. At best, I've noticed no change in my
    overal system performance. At worst, they caused me new problems, sometimes
    major problems. Again, none of these programs seems to provide any
    transpaent improvement in system performance and stability, nor do they
    provide any means of measuring any such performance.

    Most of these third party performance tools are snake oil. I have learned
    -- through the hard way (trial and error), that if you really want fast,
    stable performance in Windows XP, less is almost always more. IMO, here is
    what you need to do, and it has worked far better for me than third party
    utilities:

    1. Keep your disks free from errors (run chkdsk regularly), free of junk
    (XP's Disk Clean program is more than adequate for the job), and regularly
    defragged.

    2. Make sure your machine has enough CPU and memory to do normal computing
    tasks without having to use the pagefile. This means either that you need to
    buy a new machine (e.g. don't expect XP Professional to run well on an old
    computer designed to run Windows 98) or cut down as much as you can on
    multitasking.

    3. Review Event Viewer regularly and, when it reports an error or warning,
    fix the ones that you can fix.

    4. Last but not least, keep the crudware -- viruses, spyware, adware, ad
    nauseum -- off your machine. This means keeping Windows up to date
    (including SP2), keeping your antivirus program up to date, and regularly
    checking for spyware and adware (or, better yet, don't download it in the
    first place!).

    Ken

Windows Me Registry Microsoft Windows XP