slow slow lagging why?

I have just installed windows xp home on my dell dimension computer. it was
running on wind ME. and had lots of problems "rundll32 has error". I am now
finding that xp is very slow and lagging and slow.. why. I have run Pest
patrol and mcafee and disk cleanup and defrag. what else. should I delete
something.. andy help greatly appreciated.
--
cissy g b

You didn't post you system specs ...
Anything below 500MHz and 256MB will be slow.
Additionally, if it was ME to XP upgrade (not a fresh XP install), you
might’ve carried over some ME problems.

Try these:

Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm
(Links to online virus scans on the same page)

How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindows.htm

Good Luck!