user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I have seen references to doing a repair reinstall from the XP CD that
allows you to reinstall XP without having to format your drive and thus lose
all your data. How is this done when you have installed SP2 via the disk
sent from Microsoft for updating? Do you just do it from your original SP 1
disk (from which the original install occurred)? I don't see any option to
do this when I insert my CD.

My problem is that after upgrading from XP SP 1 to SP2, my Norton System
works has somehow gotten corrupted. Antivirus will not open, nor will the
main Norton screen. Oddly, Antivirus' autoprotect module works and the
individual programs that make up Systemworks can be opened by themselves.
Go figure.

First, I tried to restore from before the SP2 upgrade. No luck. Problem
still remained. I have unistalled and reinstalled Norton every way possible
multiple times (including using the manual registry cleaning method plus the
Norton removal tools from their site). I have things like "sfc /scannow"
and other diagnostics I could find. I even bought the new version of
Systemworks and it still exhibits the same problem where Antivirus and
Systemworks cannot be opened. Additionally, I have run several online
virus/spyware scanners just to make sure nothing slipped through.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Doug

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What you do is slipstream your original XP CD with the DOWNLOAD, not the CD,
of SP2 and then burn yourself a new cd that is now a complete XP CD with SP2
merged. Then the repair stuff will work. Do a Google search on slipstreaming
or get a copy of Autostreamer from http://www.autopatcher.com/

" -" <xvvvz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have seen references to doing a repair reinstall from the XP CD that
>allows you to reinstall XP without having to format your drive and thus
>lose all your data. How is this done when you have installed SP2 via the
>disk sent from Microsoft for updating? Do you just do it from your
>original SP 1 disk (from which the original install occurred)? I don't see
>any option to do this when I insert my CD.
>
> My problem is that after upgrading from XP SP 1 to SP2, my Norton System
> works has somehow gotten corrupted. Antivirus will not open, nor will the
> main Norton screen. Oddly, Antivirus' autoprotect module works and the
> individual programs that make up Systemworks can be opened by themselves.
> Go figure.
>
> First, I tried to restore from before the SP2 upgrade. No luck. Problem
> still remained. I have unistalled and reinstalled Norton every way
> possible multiple times (including using the manual registry cleaning
> method plus the Norton removal tools from their site). I have things
> like "sfc /scannow" and other diagnostics I could find. I even bought the
> new version of Systemworks and it still exhibits the same problem where
> Antivirus and Systemworks cannot be opened. Additionally, I have run
> several online virus/spyware scanners just to make sure nothing slipped
> through.
>
> Thanks in advance for any insights.
>
> Doug

user