Help! New HP dj6840 wireless printer setup fails

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b α HP
January 5, 2005 5:38:31 AM

I bought myself a Christmas present of an HP Deskjet 6840 wireless
printer and am having difficulty getting it set up on all the
computers on my WPA-TKIP enabled network. It is installed and working
fine on a 98se desktop wired to my Belkin F5D-7230-4 router and
wireless to the printer. It also is setup and works fine on my son's
new wireless G internal laptop through the router. The problem is
with my Sony Vaio R505 laptop with a Belkin wireless G card. The
setup program finds the printer and goes 3/4 of the way through setup
and then encounters and reports a "severe error" dialog and must
uninstall and reboot---try again" I have manually setup the enu
driver file through printers setup in windows and installed the basic
driver and it prints but is "hobbled" without the addl. software and
bi-directional communication implemented. I am really pulling my hair
out with this one and HP chat and tech support has been of little help
in figuring this out. The XP machines including the offending Sony
are updated to SP-2 and all the computers network together perfectly.
If there was going to be a problem I would have expected the 98SE
desktop to be the problem but it loaded and functions just fine.
Is there something I'm missing that may conflict with bidirectional
communication over a network port? I love the printer on the machines
that work but I really want to use it on the Sony PCG-R505EL notebook
fully enabled.
Thanks in advance
John
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b α HP
January 5, 2005 6:50:43 PM

1BoatGuy@anywhere.com wrote:
> I bought myself a Christmas present of an HP Deskjet 6840 wireless
> printer and am having difficulty getting it set up on all the
> computers on my WPA-TKIP enabled network. It is installed and working
> fine on a 98se desktop wired to my Belkin F5D-7230-4 router and
> wireless to the printer. It also is setup and works fine on my son's
> new wireless G internal laptop through the router. The problem is
> with my Sony Vaio R505 laptop with a Belkin wireless G card. The
> setup program finds the printer and goes 3/4 of the way through setup
> and then encounters and reports a "severe error" dialog and must
> uninstall and reboot---try again" I have manually setup the enu
> driver file through printers setup in windows and installed the basic
> driver and it prints but is "hobbled" without the addl. software and
> bi-directional communication implemented. I am really pulling my hair
> out with this one and HP chat and tech support has been of little help
> in figuring this out. The XP machines including the offending Sony
> are updated to SP-2 and all the computers network together perfectly.
> If there was going to be a problem I would have expected the 98SE
> desktop to be the problem but it loaded and functions just fine.
> Is there something I'm missing that may conflict with bidirectional
> communication over a network port? I love the printer on the machines
> that work but I really want to use it on the Sony PCG-R505EL notebook
> fully enabled.
> Thanks in advance
> John

If you have installed the driver, then in the printer properties, ports
tab, select the port being used and select the bi-directional option.
Most HP printers do not need all that HP management software since the
settings are accessible in the printer properties anyway. Do you see
the printer OK in Network Neighborhood?