Sign in with
Your question

Question on resource usage and Lag

Last response: in Video Games
December 1, 2011 4:23:45 AM

Hi,

I have recently purchased a gaming RIG and am new to use the features. Please find the RIG's configuration below.
I have few questions in the game performance.

My questions:

#1: I am running Battle Field 3 in complete Ultra settings and it runs smooth. But the resource usage is full - both memory and the GPU (GTX 570) utilization. Is this normal?

#2: I run Need For Speed World and I am using 512kbps connection to connect to the server. It takes average resource usage. But the game is not smooth through-out the game-play. The game itself is strucking for some time if I start an online race (that too if many cars/objects are in the view).

Cheers!

Senthur
---------------------
Intel i7 2600k | Asus Sabertooth P67 | Asus GTX 570 | 8G Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3
Samsung 23" LED @ 1080p | 2TB WD HDD @ 6 Gbps | Corsair TX 750W PSU | CM HAF 912 chassis
December 1, 2011 4:48:51 PM

You want 100% resource usage well at least from your graphics card. If it's not then something else is bottlenecking you like in your second example. Your internet connection isn't fast enough to send all the data back and forth from you and the server thus it looks laggy/choppy/not smooth. It's not so much that your graphics are using average resources it's that that's all it can get.
m
l
December 2, 2011 7:41:42 AM

@crewton: I am getting 100% resource usage (GPU & Memory in graphics) while playing Battle Field 3. What should be the bottleneck? Any wide guess?
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2011 8:12:43 AM

It is surprising you are able to play BF3 smoothly at high settings with a single GTX 570!

Many people in the forum are having difficulties while playing BF3 even with more powerful cards and SLI/CF config. So if you´re getting 100% of cpu/gpu usage it is "normal".

As for your internet connection you should now that at that speed not just you will get a lot of lag, but your connection will also lag everyone around you while gaming online.

m
l
December 2, 2011 1:45:43 PM

@jemm: I am happy to get the maximum juice out from BF3. But just wanted to know whether 100% GPU usage is normal. Thanks for your clarification.

And, regarding the connection for NFS World, I have used network monitoring tool to check the network usage of the game. It more or less uses 10KB (80Kb) per sec and I thought my 60KB (512 Kbps) per sec connection is sufficient. Is it not?

Thanks!
m
l
December 2, 2011 2:45:30 PM

senthurpandian said:
@jemm: And, regarding the connection for NFS World, I have used network monitoring tool to check the network usage of the game. It more or less uses 10KB (80Kb) per sec and I thought my 60KB (512 Kbps) per sec connection is sufficient. Is it not?

Thanks!

Sorry about that! The confusion was caused by the similarity of KBps and kbps.
m
l
!