system restore turning off on it's own

whenever I start back up the system restore is off. I've lost all the
restore points so can't go back to an earlier date. Each time I turn it back
on it turns off when I go to system restore. could this be a virus? can't
get firewall back up as it says failed to start due to internet sharing
connectivity problem. not on network,just router for home cable

Hi there,

Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q302/7/96.asp

Enabling System Restore:

Right click my computer icon, properties. System Restore Tab, Clear "Turn
Off System Restore on all Drives".

HTH
Meena