Does the new Skyrim patch fix the CTD and purple texture problems?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I was thinking about giving Skyrim another playthrough (I've already beaten it) but I'd rather not until they can release a patch fixing the problem where the game crashes to desktop every 10-15 minutes as well as the purple textures.

Did the new Skyrim patch solve any of these issues?

I found an unofficial fix that will allow the game to use more than 2GB's of ram. I played for hours last night and the night before without a single crash. Before I updated, it was crashing constantly and textures were disappearing. Some were purple, and even some were yellow for missing textures on NPC's.

I used this fix, which I just noticed they have an update to the version I use: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

Edit: After I installed this fix, I had 1 missing texture issue the first time I played using it and an error when I logged out, but neither showed up again the next time I played, but got a slightly different error when I logged out. After that, there has been no errors or crashes again. I wonder if after you log out it does some changes to configuration file or registry alteration which after it's done, fixes everything.

I find it amazing that often times companies release buggy games and a great deal of difficulty trying to fix the bugs. The dev's of Skyrim even had a quote talking about how maddening it is to make games for PC as they have so many configurations to get to work.

And while the dev's pull their hair out trying to fix the problem, some Joe Blow fixes the problem in a few days.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

No it hasn't unfortunately, infact, its caused evan more problems for most people.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
fortunately Im not experiencing any of the issues people are reporting with the 1.2 patch. It did fix the key mapping issues (although, they are still displayed wrong in the interface, so you have to remember that mapping for certain interface functions). Dont know about the memory/texture. as im not going to stop using the 4gb fix until patch notes say that issue was specifically addressed.

The 4gb fix I posted above works with the latest patch. I think it stated it should work with future patches too.

You don't launch it from Steam. You launch it from the .exe that was given with the hack: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\4gbSkyrim\skyrim4gb.exe"

(You don't have to put the files there, but I felt it was a good spot so it's all in one place.)

The first couple runs with it could give an error on log out, or at least it did for me, but after it updates the files it has to, it may never crash again. It hasn't for me.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

I'm only concerned about the CTD and purple texture problems.

I hope the 4GB patch solves those issues.

When I first got the game, I only had rare crashes, but then a patch came along that sent the game in a tailspin, it was as if half the time I zone I'd crash. I also noticed purple and some yellow in place of some textures. After a day of that, I decided to search out a solution, and since using the 4gb hack, I have had 1 crash in a week of hard core playing.

It's definitely worth using.

cronos1013

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

I had the SAME issue. If you are on windows 7 X64, you have to go to the .exe file in the /steamapps/common/skyrim folder and set it to run under xp compatibility mode. I had the same issue, mine presented as a neverending loop of the launcher before I did it.

Stupid steam.

If you read the directions of the 4gb hack, you'll see it tells you to run the skyrim4gb.exe, rather than the old steam version. He was not using the right file. Are you?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

The 4GB patch is a winrar download. I don't know how to use winrar.

Is there an application or exe download?

You might just have to look for a winrar app. It's a popular compression format.

Hmmm...I just tested the link myself and it downloads a .zip. Are you downloading the right files?

G

So, after struggling with the purple texture bug and numerous game ending desktop crashes, I can say that I've experienced neither after running Skyrim with the 4GB mod. I'll give it a marathon test tonight by leaving the game on with my character situated in an active environment overnight (this has yeilded a 100% failure rate in the past, even with background apps/processes disabled). If its still running in the morning I'll be even more confident in the fix.

I note that this thread's focus seems to be on running the game using steam. I can verify that the 4GB mod/exe operates just fine even if the game is loaded through steam. Word of note: it needs admin privileges on win 7.

Now, if we can just get some of the other game ending glitches worked on.

ItsToslow

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

I may have a solution to your random crash to desktop, enter this line to your SkyrimPrefs.ini or change it to this if its already there.

[Display]
iTexMipMapSkip=1