RachPhantom40

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Hi there. My pc can run Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2(one of my favourite games) but it doesn't run smoothly on High Settings and in some levels not even on low settings. Can someone suggest sth so as to play it smoothly? My pc specs are
Athlon Dual Core 4850e 2.5 GHz
4 GB RAM ( but I have Windows XP so it uses only 3.25GB)
ATI Radeon 5570 1 GB
PS 450W
I'm using Game Booster 3 and Advanced System Care 5 Turbo Boost so as to run it more smoothly. Can you help me? Thanks for reading!

americanbrian

Distinguished
wow, get rid of the bloatware firstly. (clue, running multiple programs at the same time will reduce your avaiable resources for the game...)

RAM and CPU are pretty much ok. What resolution are your running at? The graphics card is not great. Turn the resolution down until you get acceptable frame rates.

Also your system seems to be eating into your GFX memory (4GB total, so if OS is using 3.25, leaves only 0.75 addressable for GPU)

DM186

Splendid
Does it play ok when you first start to play then starts jerking?

It could be a heat problem. But if it starts right away then your system could be using to many resourses because of all the programs you are running.

What brand PSU do you have? It could be that if it is a crapy one. Just because it states it is a 450w does not mean you are putting out 450w.

Could you post a little more info about the problem in more detail like some of the questions I asked. Are you using a store bought computer like a Dell or HP?

RachPhantom40

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
it starts lagging awfully when I'm playing some levels of the game. Generally it runs well when I open it.
Secondly, I don't know what my PSU is. It says 450w, do you know where can i look to see what brand i have?
My pc is innovator bought from eshop

DM186

Splendid
No name on PSU could be a bad one. I guess since you have XP than it is old? Make sure your computer does not have dust build up in side. Re seat your graphic card and ram. Do not run all of the add on stuff meaning Game boost Etc. When did this problem start? What was the min requirements to run the game? You need to check out your temps. I use MSI afterburnner here is a link so you can down load.

http://msi-afterburner.en.softonic.com/

Do all that and start the game and see what tmps are. I think it is a heat problem but not for sure.

RachPhantom40

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
.:: System Requirements ::.
*Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+
*Memory Ram: 2 GB
*Hard Disk Space: 7 GB
*Video: nVidia GeForce GT 220 / ATI Radeon HD 4650
*Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
*DirectX: 9
*Keyboard / Mouse
*Installation: DVD-Rom Drive

This problem started when I first played the game (always). When I'm playing the temps are
CPU 1st 46-50
2nd 39-42
Graphics Card 49-52

americanbrian

Distinguished
The problem is your expectations, Your GPU is poor, your CPU is middle/low. These combined will not give you enough grunt when the load gets heavy.

Dial down the settings to low and you will get smooth frames. Otherwise, buy a upgrade (GPU first then CPU).

DM186

Splendid
I have to agree with americanbrian. It isn't a heat problem and your system is clean on the inside. It is almost like they are working against or competing with each other. If your PSU is a good one You can run a lot better GPU's. Here is a link to show you how the GPU compair with each other.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067-7.html

Try what he said and go from there. Thank you for posting that Info by the way.

RachPhantom40

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Thank you guys for your advice. At the moment I can't upgrade anything but I can change my Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit so as to use all of my 4 gb ram. Should i do that to get a little better performance?

DM186

Splendid
The 64 bit is the way to go in my opinion. It does allow you to take advantage of more RAM. Just remember when you up grade do the GPU first and see how everything runs then.

Next CPU. The Rule of up grades one peace at a time then test to make sure it is good.

Then move onto the next one. If you put everything in at one time and something is bad then where do you start to fix? And If it caused something else to go bad you get the picture? just a little tip. And Good luck