Is my system stable. Dragon+ 1700+

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Hi all,
I just built a Athalon 1700+ system. I am using a Soyo Dragon+ mother board with 256 megs of ddr cass 2 ram. I paid extra for the ram because it's supposed to run at 300mghz. I have a Gainward Geforce3 vid card. I used my sb pci128 sound card instead of on board because I have 4 speakers. I also have a Real Majic Hollywood Plus DVD decoder installed. IBM 30 gig 7200rpm HD. I used a Thermaltake Volcano 6cu+ cpu fan. Windows millenium, fresh install.
I set the system up and nothing is over clocked (yet). I ran Incomming for 3 days straight with no problems. Quake3 runs stupidly fast. I forget but like 120fps at 1280x1024 all quality setting turned to highest and seems stable. But when I play Aliens Verses Predator 2 after an hour and a half of play the game starts getting clunky. Loading saved games gets longer and longer. The game eventually becomes unplayable. When I quit the game in this state it locks up and I have to cntrl-alt-del. I reboot and restart the game and everything is fine again.
I bought Giants and the game is jerky and unplayable no matter what settings I use. Also when I run defrag somtimes I get an error that says " cannot defrag because the drives contents have changed. Run scandisk on thorough setting to fix the problem". I try to defrag later and it works fine. The cpu is always at 40 to 42 celsius when I check it. Just wondering if it's just a problem with the games or if I need to exchange some of my hardware while I can. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
One other thing about my system. I have a 350 watt power supply. The smart gaurdian somtimes shows the 12 volt drop to 10 volts and I've seen it jump to 14 volts. Is this fluctuation Normal?

svol

Champion
No, those fluctuations can be dangerous for your equipment. It should just change about 0,5 V max. If those readings are correct I should get another PSU.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

svol

Champion
Maybe Windows is wasting your mem.
Download Cacheman 5 and set your Cache settings with the wizards. It can be downloaded here: <A HREF="http://www.outertech.com" target="_new">http://www.outertech.com</A>.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Hi all,
This is wierd I've made 4 of the 5 posts to my own thread. Well aint that bitchen :) Maybe it's because I had an unusual problem. I think I figured it out though. Thought I would let anyone know who cares or might run into the same problem. It looks like it was my Sound blaster pci 128 sound card. I couldn't find the original driver cd so I d/l the latest drivers from Sound Blaster. First off this instalation program pisses me off because it makes all the install decisions for me. Doesent let me extract the file and pick them myself. Plus it says in the read me that the creative configurator does not work in Win Me! Why not fix that!? I dont know if this driver was installed properly or not. Either SB decided to control the instalation and did it wrong or they just decided to no longer support my sound card and not make any more updates. Either way screw SB. I removed the SB pci128 and installed the drivers for the onboard sound on my dragon + mother board. Now Giants runs fine. I dont have 4 speaker sound though but either it never worked right on my sb pci128 or not many games suported it. I will not buy another SB product. I will check later how AVP2 runs but so far so good. Prime 95 ran for 10 hrs today with no errors :)

G

The Dragon Plus comes with an adaptor for 6 channel sound. Check your box. It uses a cable to the Mobo to work.

Tazman...