Sign in with
Your question

Intense Graphics

Last response: in Video Games
December 1, 2011 7:14:53 PM

What is more important when working with programs like Maya.... Graphics card or Processor?

I'm trying to build a pc and need to know if I should get an i7 and a smaller graphics card or the opposite.

Thanks a bunch

More about : intense graphics

a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 7:26:07 PM

dont use maya but i believe as much ram as possible and that it supports gpu acceleration like cuda so a powerfull graphics card would help--though a good cpu would help as well

its all down to budget as usual--how much do you want to spend and some one will suggest something suitable
m
l
December 1, 2011 7:35:13 PM

Id like to spend about $650 for my system, with everything considered I might be able to spend about 100 dollars on a graphics card if i go with an i7. Or.... should i go with an i5 with a GTX 560 ti. I'm getting 8gb of ram.

thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 7:45:54 PM

rams at a really low price so it may be worthwhile getting 16gb--i take it you mean sandybridge i7 or i5 not socket 1366?

a 2500k and gtx 560ti may be the way to go --though there would be no hyperthreading just 4 cores--but its a lot cheaper than 2600k and is a great overclocker

do you have parts from another build you can use like case --psu etc or is that budget for everything?
m
l
December 1, 2011 7:51:10 PM

Nope i don't have anything from a previous computer build. I've been working on a dual core laptop with an gt 8600 series..... and yes sandybridge is what i have in mind. Also i'm not sure what overclocking is and i haven't ever done that before.

Thanks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 7:59:32 PM

well overclocking is a bit like tuning a car engine to run faster than when it left the factory

an i5 2500k runs at 3.30ghz but most of them can run at 4.4ghz some at 4.5ghz to 4.8ghz and some at 5ghz plus--really easy to do as long as you use a decent cooler like the hyper 212 plus and not the stock intel cooler

so you can basically get a 30% to 50% speed increase in clock speed

in the uk the 2500k is £60--$95 cheaper than the 2600k so its a no brainer to get the 2500k and overclock it if you dont need the hyperthreading
m
l
December 1, 2011 8:09:05 PM

would it be better to just get a cheaper graphics card and spend the money i saved on an i7 2600 and not worry about overclocking? That way i wont accidentally screw things over and whined up with a paper weight. I'm just worried about overheating problems.
m
l
December 1, 2011 8:48:46 PM

hmims said:
would it be better to just get a cheaper graphics card and spend the money i saved on an i7 2600 and not worry about overclocking? That way i wont accidentally screw things over and whined up with a paper weight. I'm just worried about overheating problems.

If you buy a $25 aftermarket cooler you won't have overheating problems. You should however check you temps with a temp sensing program, after overclocking, just to make sure that your cooler is working properly.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 9:28:04 PM

hmims said:

you cant really screw it up unless you put stupid voltages through it--on the 2500k you can just raise the multiplier and not even raise the vcore if you dont want to and still get a good overclock--tons of guides on overclocking them on the net
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 9:36:46 PM

i think the question that hasnt been asked that needs to be answered is how advanced are your scenes in Maya going to be. are we talking scenes big enough to have millions of polygons or small primitive stuff. you seem like your in school so i cant see the scenes being huge.

also on top of that how much rendering are you going to be doing?
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:43:08 AM

good question..... I am in school but i work on school films. I'll be doing a ton of rendering because i'm a lighter and a texture artist. I couldn't tell you how many polygons are in a shot but I can say that i'm going for movie quality like Dreamworks, Pixar, ....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 1:09:16 AM

ok fair enough. how long do your renders take now per frame and what it the processor?

im just trying to see what kind of work you doing cause if you have models with very high polygon counts a workstation gpu would be very helpful if not then a normal gpu would suffice.

try this
Select Display > Heads Up Display > Poly Count
and report back on a typical scene of yours

on your laptop now do your scenes lag when playing them and i assume your renders take a long time?
m
l
December 2, 2011 1:25:48 AM

Unfortunately i don't have anything on my computer that i worked on, but i can show you my demo reel. Hopefully this will give you a better idea of the work i'm talking about. http://quaymims.blogspot.com/

I'm running a intel dual core 2.5 ghz , 512mb Nvidia Geforce 8600, 3gb ram

Its takes about 15-30 min a frame and longer on the hair.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 2:37:51 AM

hmims said:
Unfortunately i don't have anything on my computer that i worked on, but i can show you my demo reel. Hopefully this will give you a better idea of the work i'm talking about. http://quaymims.blogspot.com/

I'm running a intel dual core 2.5 ghz , 512mb Nvidia Geforce 8600, 3gb ram

Its takes about 15-30 min a frame and longer on the hair.

ok thats points us in the right direction. i think you would definitely benefit from an i7 with long renders like that so id recommend a 2600k with 16gb of ram and id hold off on the gpu because the integrated graphics might be good enough for you. if you decide to get a gpu id recommend an nvidia card with as many cuda cores as you can afford. id strongly recommend looking at workstation gpus as they are tailored for you exact type of work. they should speed up your render times and viewport fps too.

what line of cpu is that btw? i would venture to guess that with an i7 2600k stock would render those frames in about 5 mins or less and 3 mins if you overclock cause your doubling the cores so that twices as fast then your adding hyperthreading which should drop it down to about 70% of previous time then on top of that you have a higher clock speed and a much faster architecture. the i7 would put your laptop to shame.
m
l
December 2, 2011 3:02:47 AM

Is it even possible to make a pc with the specs you gave me for $650? A buddy of mine has offered me his rig for 700 bucks.... here is the specs

* first generation of i7
* Nvidia Geforce GTX 260
* 6gb of ram
* 1TB of HDD
* 2 LCD monitor 18''

Should i even consider this rig or can i get the recommendations that you gave me with my price range? I looked at workstation gpus but I couldnt find anything for sale.

Im not sure the line of the GPU but the laptop is hp pavilion.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 3:19:59 AM

mobo 125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
cpu 320
ram 90
psu 50
hard drive 90
case 50

total comes to 725 but if your dealing with 3 gb of ram now you should be able to get by with 8gb of ram so take off 50 if you go that route and if you already have a hard drive(you CAN use the one in your laptop) then take off 90 more. i dont think you will need a GPU though until later cause i have used hd3000 graphics with a 3ds max model of over 15 million polygons and the only thing slowing me down was i used all my ram. so id try the intel integrated graphics first before going with a dedicated card.
m
l
December 2, 2011 3:29:13 AM

How will this do with programs like Photoshop, After effects, ...... I do a lot of digital painting and watching movies.
m
l
December 2, 2011 6:32:21 PM

Thanks a mill
m
l
December 2, 2011 6:35:23 PM

Should i consider my friends rig that he offered me for 700 bucks or should i build my own? The specs are listed above....... what would you do?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 8:48:16 PM

kinda depends on what i7 it is....
heres some comparisions i7 950(best last gen i7) vs 2600k
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/100?vs=287
2600k vs i7 860(worst last gen i7)

i would go with the new build as it will be much better and will overclock to 4.5 without a problem with a 30 dollar aftermarket cooler.
m
l
December 5, 2011 11:57:09 PM

Thanks but does overclocking give you a considerable noticeable difference of performance working in 3D?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2011 2:40:22 PM

working in the program no but rendering YES. going from stock to 4.5 its about a 30% time decrease.
m
l
!