BF3 Flying joystick or mouse-keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesvini

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I was trolling the webs for a while trying to see what peoples opinions are around using a joystick or mouse/keys in BF3 but they are mainly talking about brands of mice and joysticks.
What i would like to know is what do people prefer?
What do the pros use?
I have been using my joystick but i find that as soon as i jump in a jet i'm taken out immediately by others in about 3secs.

What do you guys think?

Cheers.

rgamela

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

I was looking for the same thing. I use mouse and keyboard to play BF3. And i cant see myself playing with a joystick. I try to play BF3 on Xbox, and my aim is crap. i take too long till i can aim the enemy, so they kill me first.

But a lot of ppl say is easier to play with joystick, once u get used to it. Is that true? or both are the same to play, just choose what you feel better?

From_Canada

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I fly jets in BF3 using mouse/keyboard and I've gotten pretty decent at it. just under 150 kills. Well over the weekend, my boss lent me his Logitech extreme 3d pro joystick (yes, I game with my boss) to try it out as he keeps telling me that joystick is 1000X better than M/KB.

Well after playing around for around 2.5 hours with it, I do think that when it comes to maneuverability, yes the joystick is a better choice. But when it actually comes down to aiming and shooting down enemy pilots, I couldn't hit them once. After I died multiple times, I just gave up and switched back to M/KB.

use a PS One controller connected to a PS to USB converter (PS = Playstation). The analog sticks help fly and maneuver. I do agree with the above, it is hard to aim sometimes, but it is much easier to evade other jets and fly in general. I had difficulty with the mouse and keyboard. I use the K&M for the choppers though.

jamesvini

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Ok thanks for all the opinions, So what we have decided is that to manuver it is better to use a cotroller/joystick and to aim it is best to use the mouse, i have had the same problems my self.
Again thank you to every one involved.,

mlarremore

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Aiming with a joystick just takes a lot of practice and a steady hand. Be patient at keep at it.
What a lot of the upper tier pilots claim is that M&K responds faster than a joystick unless your joystick is super fine-tuned.
One pilot mentioned disabling some sort of "smooth scrolling" config for his joystick but I was unable to find the file or the setting.

So, if anyone knows how to disable smooth scrolling on a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, by all means speak up!

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Joystick is nicer, however for helo flight you really need both a cyclic and a collective. You can use a seperate thrust control to act as a collective, but it feels kinda hamfisted to me. Basically for Helos you either need a real helo set, or the mouse+KB is the next best option. For planes, any flight stick.

mercer95

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
i know this thread has being dead for a while but i find that i need a xbox controller for jets because i run out of space for my mouse, i can fly coppers with my mouse and keyboard with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.