Prefetch clean and then not functioning

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

Having noticed that Prefetch was full of programs I hadn't used in a
long time, and some I'd even removed from my system, I did some
research. The research indicated that it would help the speed of the
system if you deleted all the files in prefetch.

But - it also indicated that Windows would re-populate prefetch with the
programs you really do open on a regular basis.

The prefetch folder is not being written to and it is still completely
empty even though I've been using many programs over several days.

What is wrong and what can I do to get it operating again?

TIA

Louise

Hi there,

Here is quote from the Kelly's korner:

Manage the Windows Prefetcher Service: Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate
to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management\PrefetchParameters

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called
"EnablePrefetcher" and set it according to
(0 = disabled, 1 = Application launch prefetching, 2 = Boot prefetching, 3 =
Both prefetching). To clear the Prefetcher cache, delete all the files in
the Prefetch sub-directory (e.g. "C:\Windows\Prefetch").

Prefetch Defined: This directory is used by the defrag utility to help
organize the files on your PC for more efficient loading.

"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Having noticed that Prefetch was full of programs I hadn't used in a
> long time, and some I'd even removed from my system, I did some
> research. The research indicated that it would help the speed of the
> system if you deleted all the files in prefetch.
>
> But - it also indicated that Windows would re-populate prefetch with the
> programs you really do open on a regular basis.
>
> The prefetch folder is not being written to and it is still completely
> empty even though I've been using many programs over several days.
>
> What is wrong and what can I do to get it operating again?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <OSmwoM9$EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
SAYNO2SPAM.emailmeena@gmail.com says...
> Hi there,
>
> Here is quote from the Kelly's korner:
>
> Manage the Windows Prefetcher Service: Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate
> to this key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
> Management\PrefetchParameters
>
> Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called
> "EnablePrefetcher" and set it according to
> (0 = disabled, 1 = Application launch prefetching, 2 = Boot prefetching, 3 =
> Both prefetching). To clear the Prefetcher cache, delete all the files in
> the Prefetch sub-directory (e.g. "C:\Windows\Prefetch").
>
> Prefetch Defined: This directory is used by the defrag utility to help
> organize the files on your PC for more efficient loading.
>

> "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Having noticed that Prefetch was full of programs I hadn't used in a
> > long time, and some I'd even removed from my system, I did some
> > research. The research indicated that it would help the speed of the
> > system if you deleted all the files in prefetch.
> >
> > But - it also indicated that Windows would re-populate prefetch with the
> > programs you really do open on a regular basis.
> >
> > The prefetch folder is not being written to and it is still completely
> > empty even though I've been using many programs over several days.
> >
> > What is wrong and what can I do to get it operating again?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Louise

thanks - I'll do it!

Louise