A7V266-E RAID 0 setup???

G

I've tried to set-up a RAID 0 array on my A7V266-E, but I have the following problem(s):

Set-up cables exactly like the manual says - (1) on the Primary IDE, (1) on the Secondary IDE, using ATA100 cables that came w/Motherboard. RAID controller will not recognize drives when set-up this way.

Set-up cables on the Promise IDE 1 & Promise IDE2. RAID controller recognizes both drives, configures array for Striping/RAID 0. When PC is re-booted, boots from CD & I enter WIN 2000 PRO setup, WIN 2K PRO doesn't see the drives at all.

I'm using (2) identical WD 40GB drives, and I changed the jumper from ATA100 to RAID.

Anyone have any ideas?????

Gozer

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
Hi, yep I went though the same stuff before on my Asus A7V133 KT133A; I just got my new Asus A7V266-E with RAID and AMD XP1700, and what you have to do is copy the RAID drivers from your Asus CD onto a floppy, and after you set up your RAID, and go to format, hit "F6" and put your floppy in, and then it will ask you if you have drivers and to hit "S" and it will show the "Win2000" Promise Fasttrak" driver, it walks you through it. I think I copied the whole RAID folder or maybe just the content of the RAID folder, try it both ways. I know it works, I am running two Maxtor 40GB drives in RAID-0 if you get an error, just reboot and try the other Disk.
I love this MB; I am clocked at 1650MHz (11x150fsb)and it is like a rock..or like a rocket I should say..
Oh and don't use the new drivers off of Asus's website, last time I tried they didn't work.. and just by chance I tried the ones on the CD and it worked.

Have fun....

Do you smell that? I love the smell of thermal compound in the morning

G

Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand you fully. Both HD's are blank currently - no data at all on them - so I'm not sure how to do as you suggest. What do you mean "Go to format"??? How is this done outside of a Windows environment???
Any help is appreciated...

Gozer

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001
HI, Ok when you boot from you CD, just as the blue windows screen comes up and starts to load some files, at the bottom you will see, "Hit F6 if you need to load RAID or SCSI drivers. HIT F6, then it will load some more stuff, then it will come up with a screen that tells you to hit "S" to select the driver, place your floppy disk in the drive, then it will show you the FastTrak RAID driver, and you hit enter, and it will verify the driver, then hit enter, then it will load up Windows2000 or XP, the you hit “F8” to agree to the Windows license ,then you can partition and format your RAID config. Do you have a second computer? use it to copy your Drivers to a floppy, or just load Win98 up on your first partition; it will load with no RAID drivers needed. Sorry it's late; I'll be back tomorrow.

Do you smell that? I love the smell of thermal compound in the morning

G

Well I figured-out PART of the problem - my monitor is going black just when Win 2K is asking for the RAID drivers!
The monitor goes dark for ~ 30-45 secs while setup loads the files it needs. This is also the time when Win 2k asks for any RAID or scsi drivers.... :(

Anyone else experience this or have a solution??????

G

I've had the same problem with the black screen. I have a GF3Ti500, and for the first little while it has no output. I took a GF2ultra, stuck it in, and it worked fine. So I timed the boot sequence, when to hit what key and how to select the drivers, then I re-installed the GF3 and just installed the drivers "blind", after it loads the drivers the normal screen comes back. However I still can't get my RAID 0 to work under XP. Man those promise drivers really suck. They did a piss poor job putting those together. I wish ASUS had gone with a HighPoint controller, it has native WinXP support. Good luck bro.

msbendts

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
One problem that I had during my WinXP install is my system rebooting when it gets to the blue installation screen. I disabled all my power managment config in the BIOS, and that reboot issue went away.

So, try disabling the BIOS power management for your video card is see if your black screen goes away...

G

Thanks KillerBee! I switched the geForce3 Ti 500 for an old Riva 128 ZX 4mb & I was able to install the RAID drivers without a hitch.
You da man!!!!