SVCHOST.EXE Application Error Message

a b } Memory
January 21, 2005 4:03:04 PM

My XP Home edition is giving the following memory access error message.

"instruction @ 0x009a96bc referenced memory @ 0x00000000, memory could not
be written"

How can I identify the particular service(s) that are causing the problem?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 22, 2005 6:48:30 PM

You may like to check for virusues, and ensure that the firewall protection
is turned on.

Symantec Security Response - W32.Welchia.Worm:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

Symantec Security Response -W32.Assarm@mm:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

To turn firewall in Windows XP follow the steps below:

Open Network Connections by typing NCPA.CPL in the RUN box.

Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to
protect.

Under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select the
following option:
Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this
computer from the Internet box.

--
HTH
Meena
"The Gimp" <The Gimp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My XP Home edition is giving the following memory access error message.
>
> "instruction @ 0x009a96bc referenced memory @ 0x00000000, memory could not
> be written"
>
> How can I identify the particular service(s) that are causing the problem?
>
> Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 22, 2005 6:48:31 PM

Been down that road already. Mcafee DAT's current - Spyware clean slate -
Firewall active. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help

"Meena" wrote:

> You may like to check for virusues, and ensure that the firewall protection
> is turned on.
>
> Symantec Security Response - W32.Welchia.Worm:
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
>
> Symantec Security Response -W32.Assarm@mm:
> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
>
> To turn firewall in Windows XP follow the steps below:
>
> Open Network Connections by typing NCPA.CPL in the RUN box.
>
> Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to
> protect.
>
> Under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
> On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select the
> following option:
> Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this
> computer from the Internet box.
>

> --
> HTH
> Meena
> "The Gimp" <The Gimp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My XP Home edition is giving the following memory access error message.
> >
> > "instruction @ 0x009a96bc referenced memory @ 0x00000000, memory could not
> > be written"
> >
> > How can I identify the particular service(s) that are causing the problem?
> >
> > Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

a b } Memory
January 22, 2005 10:17:28 PM

Get Igor Nys'Process Viewer http://www.teamcti.com/pview/
From Process Viewer's menus: View> Process Tree.
Now you can at least see which service are running under each
svchost.exe. (Note the Process id number next to each item.)
Close the Process Tree window.
Right click a svchost.exe in the main window and you'll be present with
a number of choices. Choose Modules to see the .dll libraries being
called by the services running under each host. Look at the file paths
and versions of the .dll files and you may be able to find the bogus one.

--
HTH
Bob Dietz

The Gimp wrote:
> Been down that road already. Mcafee DAT's current - Spyware clean slate -
> Firewall active. Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> "Meena" wrote:
>

>>You may like to check for virusues, and ensure that the firewall protection
>>is turned on.
>>
>>Symantec Security Response - W32.Welchia.Worm:
>>http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
>>
>>Symantec Security Response -W32.Assarm@mm:
>>http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...
>>
>>To turn firewall in Windows XP follow the steps below:
>>
>>Open Network Connections by typing NCPA.CPL in the RUN box.
>>
>>Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to
>>protect.
>>
>>Under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
>>On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select the
>>following option:
>>Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this
>>computer from the Internet box.
>>

>>--
>>HTH
>>Meena
>>"The Gimp" <The Gimp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>My XP Home edition is giving the following memory access error message.
>>>
>>>"instruction @ 0x009a96bc referenced memory @ 0x00000000, memory could not
>>>be written"
>>>
>>>How can I identify the particular service(s) that are causing the problem?
>>>
>>>Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 23, 2005 4:51:02 PM

Thanks - I'll try it right now. Will let you know - this thread.

!