Home router won't allow me to connect to office VPN wirele..

I have a Belkin F506230-3(older model) that I use to access the
Internet wirelessly at home. I can Remote Desktop to my work with the
Intel NetStructure VPN as long as I have a wired connection to the
router. If I try and connect wirelessly, the VPN client gives me a
message: "*** Error: Unable to transmit". I can connect to the VPN
wirelessly though through my in-law's linksys router. What might be
the difference in the two routers? Does anyone know of any setup issue
that might take care of this?
6 answers Last reply
More about home router connect office wirele

    On 5 Jan 2005 06:33:50 -0800, brandon_mathews@msn.com wrote:

    >I have a Belkin F506230-3(older model) that I use to access the
    >Internet wirelessly at home. I can Remote Desktop to my work with the
    >Intel NetStructure VPN as long as I have a wired connection to the
    >router. If I try and connect wirelessly, the VPN client gives me a
    >message: "*** Error: Unable to transmit". I can connect to the VPN
    >wirelessly though through my in-law's linksys router. What might be
    >the difference in the two routers? Does anyone know of any setup issue
    >that might take care of this?

    Sounds like the firmware in the router can't handle VPN over the radio.

    Is this an older model router (a year+) ? Perhaps there is a firmware upgrade
    for it. Linksys and D-link routers all had this problem when they first got
    in to these home units and firmware upgrades fixed everything fine.

    Well I got it to work after messing around with the VPN client. In the
    tunnel properties you can either specify which card to use and it was
    defaulted to "Any Interface". Even though it should have worked for
    either wired or wireless (same machine, not both connected at same time
    except when I had to use wired), I had to specify the wireless card as
    the card to use. Strange that "Any Interface" doesn't really mean any
    interface apparently.

    My wireless card is an internal Dell TrueMobile. As long as the
    wireless works, I'll just use that all the time to connect now. Thanks
    for taking the time to respond.

    Mark <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    > Is this an older model router (a year+) ? Perhaps there is a firmware upgrade
    > for it. Linksys and D-link routers all had this problem when they first got
    > in to these home units and firmware upgrades fixed everything fine.

    I have used Linksys and Dlink wireless routers with out-of-the box firmware
    for quite some time to connect via SonicWall, Nortel, Checkpoint, and
    Microsoft VPN clients.

    Some other possible thoughts are that the wired IP address is set up in the
    DMZ on the router, or that the timing is just a little slow from wireless,
    and the VPN server has timing parameters set too tightly. That would have
    to be adjusted at the VPN server side.

    Are you trying to connect both wireless and wired at the same time? Some
    routers only allow one VPN tunnel, although I haven't seen that problem.

    Your NAT router is going to present all of the addresses on your private
    network as a single IP address to the internet, and do some port management
    to keep them differentiated internally. The Nortel server that I connect
    to makes note of "IPSec NAT Transversal: Active on port 10000" for the
    first connection. The VPN server might also be seeing a second attempt
    from the same IP address, and only allow one. Mine allows only two.
    Sometimes if I am having connection troubles (like a marginal wireless
    connection), I can get blocked from reconnecting for a little while because
    my reconnect is seen as a violation of the "only two" rule.

    Is the wired connection that works the same machine? If not, can you
    rearrange connections and IP addresses to try the lowest IP address as
    wireless?

    I would certainly update the firmware to the latest rev.

    --
    ---

    brandon.mathews@gmail.com wrote:
    > Well I got it to work after messing around with the VPN client. In the
    > tunnel properties you can either specify which card to use and it was
    > defaulted to "Any Interface". Even though it should have worked for

    After installing the wireless card, removing and reinstalling the VPN
    client package might allow it to recognize all of the interfaces.
    Adding a card to an existing VPN system doesn't seem to work as reliably,
    even though it is set for "Any Interface".

    --
    ---

    <brandon_mathews@msn.com> wrote:

    > I have a Belkin F506230-3(older model) that I use to access the
    > Internet wirelessly at home. I can Remote Desktop to my work with the
    > Intel NetStructure VPN as long as I have a wired connection to the
    > router. If I try and connect wirelessly, the VPN client gives me a
    > message: "*** Error: Unable to transmit". I can connect to the VPN
    > wirelessly though through my in-law's linksys router. What might be
    > the difference in the two routers? Does anyone know of any setup issue
    > that might take care of this?

    From Belkin's product literature, available at
    <http://www.belkin.com/support/download/download.asp?category=9&lang=1&m
    ode=>, it looks like the 7230 is the first of their wireless boxes to
    advertise VPN pass-through. You'll probably need to replace the 6230
    with something newer.

Routers Connection VPN Wireless Networking