save changes and close open programs

What is the best way to close open programs before installing new software?
I have been told to use "disable all" in msconfig, but everytime I do this
McAfee and Ad-aware return upon reboot. These programs are real die-hards.
I have to then do a right click on the icon and close or disable them before
installing. Should all programs be closed before installing new software?
1 answer Last reply
More about save close open programs

    What I've done in the past is to disable all the open
    programs shown on the bottom right hand corner of my
    screen using right click on the icon and either
    disable/close/disconnect.
    Carlos
    ..

Microsoft Software Windows XP