JamieS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
Ok i'm having a big problem with my second computer.

I moved it to another room yesterday and since then i've been unable to get it to work. The original problem was that when i switched it on it acted normarly till the login screen, which didnt appear, all i could see was a black screen and a mouse cursor. At this point i only had the essentials plugged in : Power Cable, Monitor, Speakers, Mouse and Keyboard.

After failing to work a few times, i started the computer in safe mode with the same results.

I decided to repair the installation using the windows disc, this had the same problem.

Then i formated my original 200GB drive and reinstalled windows, this time after finishing copying setup files, it re-booted and got to the installation screen, which again didnt come up, this time all i could see is a blue screen (windows colour, not BSOD colour) and a mouse cursor.

By now i was really annoyed so i wipped out the 200GB drive, and put in a old 40GB drive, which was empty, and installed windows. I got the same result; light blue screen with mouse cursor.

Now i decided to disconnect anything inside the case which wasnt vital, including spare DVD drive, modem and floppy drive, i also switched the memory banks of the RAM.

Guess what? Same result...

Now i'm at my wits end, this was a computer that was working perfectly a week ago, now it refuses to get anyware near windows after loading (usal screen with loading bar going back and forth)

The specs of the computer are:

Inter Pentium 4 2.4GHz 533Mhz FSB (Socket 478)
Some HP motherboard (not sure which one)
512Mb PC2100 RAM (Single Stick)
40GB 5200rpm Western Digital Drive (Original one was 200GB WD 7200rpm)
LG DVD-RW
Ati Radeon 9000 64mb
Windows XP Pro (No service packs, but this computer is not connected to the internet)

riser

Illustrious
Unstable, but working power supply could cause this problem. Chances are slim though.

It sounds like a memory problem though. Go down to 1 dimm of memory, try DIMM1 slot. Doesn't work? Try your 2nd dimm in DIMM1.

In Bios, Reset to Default.

If it keeps locking up, it's not a software but hardware issue.

Run that, report back if that fixed it.

JamieS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
I've cracked it.

The problem seems to be with the old Graphics Card, when i put my 9600XT outta my games rig it seemed to work ok, no blue screen and cursor.

Thanks for ur suggestions.

riser

Illustrious
Here's a rare fix for you..
Go into Device Manager, Ports (COM & LPT) Open Properties on LPT1, go under Port Settings and check the box for Enable Legacy Plug and Play Detection.

Bruxbox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
The only event that occurred between the time when the box was working and when it wasn't working was your act of physically moving the box.

When you moved the box, there was a risk that something will come loose or unplugged.

In your case, it may be that the ATI graphics card got slightly unseated in the slot, causing the issues that you have described.

TRENDING THREADS