File options

I am running windows XP with SP2. Most of the icons on the desktop and
start menu are now Word file icons, the names reflect ".lnk" extensions.
When selected a Word file opens, after several error windows, with
unintelligble characters. There are several users on the computer (family).

It is possible that the window that asks what program should be used to open
a file popped up and Word was selected "for all files of this type" but not
known for sure.

I tried to go to control panel, folder options, select file types. I
scrolled down to LNK and thought that changing the program selected to open
these files from Word would help but I do not know what program to use. None
of the selections available in that window seemed appropriate.

I also downloaded and ran xp_exe_fix.reg. A window popped up with the
message "Windows cannot open this file:" it needs to know what program
created it.

Any assistance would be appreciated
1 answer Last reply
More about file options

    Hi cavie48fan,

    D/load REG File Association Fix (xp_regfile.zip) and LNK (Shortcut) File
    Association Fix (linkfile_fix.zip) from Doug Knox's File Association Fixes:
    http://dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    Extract the xp_regfile.reg and the linkfile_fix.reg files from within the
    zipped archives.

    Now, using Windows Explorer or My Computer, navigate to C:\Windows folder,
    locate the regedit.exe file and rename it to regedit.scr
    You'll receive a dialogue box warning you about changing a file
    extension.....click on the Yes button to change the file extension. Not to
    worry.........Windows will automatically create another regedit.exe file

    Now, go back to the unzipped xp_regfile.reg file. Double-click on it, and
    you should receive a "Windows cannot open this file..." dialogue box. Click
    in the radio button beside Select the program from a list and then click on
    OK. Uncheck the "Always use the selected program....." checkbox if there is
    a checkmark there, then click on the Browse button, change the Files of type
    field to All Files and navigate to C:\Windows\regedit.scr then click on OK.
    When asked Are you sure you want to add the information....", click on Yes.
    Click on OK.

    If you were successful at entering the information into the registry using
    the above instructions, then go back and run the .reg files for the .lnk and
    ..exe files.

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "cavie48fan" <cavie48fan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am running windows XP with SP2. Most of the icons on the desktop and
    > start menu are now Word file icons, the names reflect ".lnk" extensions.
    > When selected a Word file opens, after several error windows, with
    > unintelligble characters. There are several users on the computer
    (family).

    > It is possible that the window that asks what program should be used to
    open
    > a file popped up and Word was selected "for all files of this type" but
    not
    > known for sure.
    >
    > I tried to go to control panel, folder options, select file types. I
    > scrolled down to LNK and thought that changing the program selected to
    open
    > these files from Word would help but I do not know what program to use.
    None
    > of the selections available in that window seemed appropriate.
    >
    > I also downloaded and ran xp_exe_fix.reg. A window popped up with the
    > message "Windows cannot open this file:" it needs to know what program
    > created it.
    >
    > Any assistance would be appreciated

Windows XP