Windows XP - won't boot after MB/CPU upgrade

I'm trying to get my original 40gig C: drive to boot windows XP again after a
hardware change. This is nearly a month old issue so I've done a new drive &
fresh XP install as a work around but haven't been succesfull doing a "Dos"
recovery console to get my orginal C: drive to boot. If I load the "Windows"
based recovery console on the new drive that boots is it a little less
criptic?

The boot right now ends as a single fashing __ on a black screen.
2 answers Last reply
More about windows boot upgrade

    Simply install old as master on either IDE chain,set other as slave or remove
    the plug from them,then open to BIOS,priority boot device (or similiar),set
    cdrom as 1st priority,old drive as 2nd,install xp cd,save and exit
    BIOS,boot to
    xp cd,then select recovery,press enter for password,not sure what you added
    hardware wise,or why recovery is needed,but to chk the drive type:
    CHKDSK C: /R or CHKDSK C: /p R for repair,p for fix When thru type:EXIT

    Phil Agur wrote:
    > I'm trying to get my original 40gig C: drive to boot windows XP again after a
    > hardware change. This is nearly a month old issue so I've done a new drive &
    > fresh XP install as a work around but haven't been succesfull doing a "Dos"
    > recovery console to get my orginal C: drive to boot. If I load the "Windows"
    > based recovery console on the new drive that boots is it a little less
    > criptic?
    >
    > The boot right now ends as a single fashing __ on a black screen.

    You'll need to do a repair install of XP--boot from the CD and follow
    the prompts.

Boot Windows XP