wont restore files that ive backed up HELP!!

i backed up the my documents folder to a seperate hard drive and my computer
crashed so i went to restore my files and i get an error message that says
"The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used." please help,
thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about wont restore files backed help

    Hi Mooter,

    How exactly did you perform a backup of the documents? Read the note below:

    When you attempt to restore a backup in Windows XP that you create by using the Msbackup tool in Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition (Me), you may receive one of the following error messages:

    Unrecognized Media
    The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used.

    -or-

    Backup Utility
    An inconsistency was encountered on the requested media

    Cannot Restore Backups That You Create in Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me with the Windows XP Ntbackup Tool:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305381

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "mooter" <mooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00FB6E0B-AF9E-4130-BE2E-24A962A82887@microsoft.com...
    i backed up the my documents folder to a seperate hard drive and my computer
    crashed so i went to restore my files and i get an error message that says
    "The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used." please help,
    thanks

    The backup was a Normal backup all within windows XP using the windows backup
    utility.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Mooter,
    >
    > How exactly did you perform a backup of the documents? Read the note below:
    >
    > When you attempt to restore a backup in Windows XP that you create by using the Msbackup tool in Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition (Me), you may receive one of the following error messages:
    >
    > Unrecognized Media
    > The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used.
    >
    > -or-
    >
    > Backup Utility
    > An inconsistency was encountered on the requested media
    >
    > Cannot Restore Backups That You Create in Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me with the Windows XP Ntbackup Tool:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305381
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "mooter" <mooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00FB6E0B-AF9E-4130-BE2E-24A962A82887@microsoft.com...
    > i backed up the my documents folder to a seperate hard drive and my computer
    > crashed so i went to restore my files and i get an error message that says
    > "The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used." please help,
    > thanks

    Testing your backup after you have a failure is like putting your boots on
    after your feet are already wet. (-:

    The backup is probably corrupted or you no longer have the software
    installed that you used to create the backup.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "mooter" <mooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i backed up the my documents folder to a seperate hard drive and my
    >computer
    > crashed so i went to restore my files and i get an error message that says
    > "The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used." please
    > help,
    > thanks

Windows XP