wont restore files that ive backed up HELP!!

January 23, 2005 12:11:02 AM

i backed up the my documents folder to a seperate hard drive and my computer
crashed so i went to restore my files and i get an error message that says
"The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used." please help,
thanks
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 2:37:47 PM

Hi Mooter,

How exactly did you perform a backup of the documents? Read the note below:

When you attempt to restore a backup in Windows XP that you create by using the Msbackup tool in Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition (Me), you may receive one of the following error messages:

Unrecognized Media
The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used.

-or-

Backup Utility
An inconsistency was encountered on the requested media

Cannot Restore Backups That You Create in Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me with the Windows XP Ntbackup Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305381

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"mooter" <mooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00FB6E0B-AF9E-4130-BE2E-24A962A82887@microsoft.com...
i backed up the my documents folder to a seperate hard drive and my computer
crashed so i went to restore my files and i get an error message that says
"The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used." please help,
thanks
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 2:53:01 PM

The backup was a Normal backup all within windows XP using the windows backup
utility.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Mooter,
>
> How exactly did you perform a backup of the documents? Read the note below:
>
> When you attempt to restore a backup in Windows XP that you create by using the Msbackup tool in Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition (Me), you may receive one of the following error messages:
>
> Unrecognized Media
> The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used.
>
> -or-
>
> Backup Utility
> An inconsistency was encountered on the requested media
>
> Cannot Restore Backups That You Create in Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me with the Windows XP Ntbackup Tool:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305381
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "mooter" <mooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00FB6E0B-AF9E-4130-BE2E-24A962A82887@microsoft.com...
> i backed up the my documents folder to a seperate hard drive and my computer
> crashed so i went to restore my files and i get an error message that says
> "The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used." please help,
> thanks

January 23, 2005 2:58:22 PM

Testing your backup after you have a failure is like putting your boots on
after your feet are already wet. (-:

The backup is probably corrupted or you no longer have the software
installed that you used to create the backup.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"mooter" <mooter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i backed up the my documents folder to a seperate hard drive and my
>computer
> crashed so i went to restore my files and i get an error message that says
> "The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used." please
> help,
> thanks
March 12, 2008 5:24:26 PM

To restore files from corrupt bkf file showing error mesage - "The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used.", you need to use a bkf repair tool.

Get a good one from http://www.bkfrepairtool.com

Above error occurs due to corrupt metadata in some blocks of bkf file.
!