Can't Open Anything

i don't know what i did but i can't seem to run anything games programs what
ever i install to use it i have to re-install them and when i restart the
computer it happens again...
everytime i turn on my comp or restart and wen my desktop comes up i can't
click on anything i have to ctrl+alt+del and logoff my profile and then get
back logback on so then i can click on the start button or whatever....
also forgot to mention that when desktop comes up the command prompt comes
up also but then it closes down that also so happen when i try to play a game
or uninstall a program. it quickly pops up and then close down and thats it i
can't seem to open the .exe nearly forgot to mention that when i logout i
have to end explorer and then wen login it reloads and then seems to work but
the the progams still don't.
Someone please help me out

thanx
Sang
7 answers Last reply
More about open anything

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Doug Knox's web site and run the fix for
    the .EXE & .LNK Files:

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "sang" <sang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i don't know what i did but i can't seem to run anything games programs
    >what
    > ever i install to use it i have to re-install them and when i restart the
    > computer it happens again...
    > everytime i turn on my comp or restart and wen my desktop comes up i can't
    > click on anything i have to ctrl+alt+del and logoff my profile and then
    > get
    > back logback on so then i can click on the start button or whatever....
    > also forgot to mention that when desktop comes up the command prompt comes
    > up also but then it closes down that also so happen when i try to play a
    > game
    > or uninstall a program. it quickly pops up and then close down and thats
    > it i
    > can't seem to open the .exe nearly forgot to mention that when i logout i
    > have to end explorer and then wen login it reloads and then seems to work
    > but
    > the the progams still don't.
    > Someone please help me out
    >
    > thanx
    > Sang

    Hi
    sorry Will but that didn't do anything now my comp like freeze on the
    desktop when i start it up and so i have to end explorer.exe and then logout
    and log back in also all my programs and game the .exe files all have the
    window icon and not the right one say like the picture icon that it's meant
    to have.
    i think there is something wrong with my explorer.exe is there anyway i can
    reinstall it or something because seems like every program crashes when i
    open it
    hope that help

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following link to Doug Knox's web site and run the fix for
    > the .EXE & .LNK Files:
    >
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "sang" <sang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i don't know what i did but i can't seem to run anything games programs
    > >what
    > > ever i install to use it i have to re-install them and when i restart the
    > > computer it happens again...
    > > everytime i turn on my comp or restart and wen my desktop comes up i can't
    > > click on anything i have to ctrl+alt+del and logoff my profile and then
    > > get
    > > back logback on so then i can click on the start button or whatever....
    > > also forgot to mention that when desktop comes up the command prompt comes
    > > up also but then it closes down that also so happen when i try to play a
    > > game
    > > or uninstall a program. it quickly pops up and then close down and thats
    > > it i
    > > can't seem to open the .exe nearly forgot to mention that when i logout i
    > > have to end explorer and then wen login it reloads and then seems to work
    > > but
    > > the the progams still don't.
    > > Someone please help me out
    > >
    > > thanx
    > > Sang

    Hi Will,
    I have smae problem and tried to go to Doug Knox's site, downloaded the .exe
    fix zip file and opened it. Then when i tried to used it, it was added to my
    registry. Now I need to know how can run that link to fix .exe files please.
    Afzal

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following link to Doug Knox's web site and run the fix for
    > the .EXE & .LNK Files:
    >
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "sang" <sang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i don't know what i did but i can't seem to run anything games programs
    > >what
    > > ever i install to use it i have to re-install them and when i restart the
    > > computer it happens again...
    > > everytime i turn on my comp or restart and wen my desktop comes up i can't
    > > click on anything i have to ctrl+alt+del and logoff my profile and then
    > > get
    > > back logback on so then i can click on the start button or whatever....
    > > also forgot to mention that when desktop comes up the command prompt comes
    > > up also but then it closes down that also so happen when i try to play a
    > > game
    > > or uninstall a program. it quickly pops up and then close down and thats
    > > it i
    > > can't seem to open the .exe nearly forgot to mention that when i logout i
    > > have to end explorer and then wen login it reloads and then seems to work
    > > but
    > > the the progams still don't.
    > > Someone please help me out
    > >
    > > thanx
    > > Sang

    What virus software are you running.

    "sang" <sang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i don't know what i did but i can't seem to run anything games programs
    what
    > ever i install to use it i have to re-install them and when i restart the
    > computer it happens again...
    > everytime i turn on my comp or restart and wen my desktop comes up i can't
    > click on anything i have to ctrl+alt+del and logoff my profile and then
    get
    > back logback on so then i can click on the start button or whatever....
    > also forgot to mention that when desktop comes up the command prompt comes
    > up also but then it closes down that also so happen when i try to play a
    game
    > or uninstall a program. it quickly pops up and then close down and thats
    it i
    > can't seem to open the .exe nearly forgot to mention that when i logout i
    > have to end explorer and then wen login it reloads and then seems to work
    but
    > the the progams still don't.
    > Someone please help me out
    >
    > thanx
    > Sang

    Hi

    If you have NAV installed, disable it, and try again.

    --

    > Hi
    > sorry Will but that didn't do anything now my comp like freeze on the
    > desktop when i start it up and so i have to end explorer.exe and then
    > logout
    > and log back in also all my programs and game the .exe files all have the
    > window icon and not the right one say like the picture icon that it's
    > meant
    > to have.
    > i think there is something wrong with my explorer.exe is there anyway i
    > can
    > reinstall it or something because seems like every program crashes when i
    > open it
    > hope that help
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Please try the following link to Doug Knox's web site and run the fix for
    >> the .EXE & .LNK Files:
    >>
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "sang" <sang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >i don't know what i did but i can't seem to run anything games programs
    >> >what
    >> > ever i install to use it i have to re-install them and when i restart
    >> > the
    >> > computer it happens again...
    >> > everytime i turn on my comp or restart and wen my desktop comes up i
    >> > can't
    >> > click on anything i have to ctrl+alt+del and logoff my profile and then
    >> > get
    >> > back logback on so then i can click on the start button or whatever....
    >> > also forgot to mention that when desktop comes up the command prompt
    >> > comes
    >> > up also but then it closes down that also so happen when i try to play
    >> > game
    >> > or uninstall a program. it quickly pops up and then close down and
    >> > thats
    >> > it i
    >> > can't seem to open the .exe nearly forgot to mention that when i logout
    >> > have to end explorer and then wen login it reloads and then seems to
    >> > work
    >> > but
    >> > the the progams still don't.
    >> > Someone please help me out
    >> >
    >> > thanx
    >> > Sang

    i using spybot S&D
    thats all atm
    "Nick Burns" wrote:

    > What virus software are you running.
    >
    > "sang" <sang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > i don't know what i did but i can't seem to run anything games programs
    > what
    > > ever i install to use it i have to re-install them and when i restart the
    > > computer it happens again...
    > > everytime i turn on my comp or restart and wen my desktop comes up i can't
    > > click on anything i have to ctrl+alt+del and logoff my profile and then
    > get
    > > back logback on so then i can click on the start button or whatever....
    > > also forgot to mention that when desktop comes up the command prompt comes
    > > up also but then it closes down that also so happen when i try to play a
    > game
    > > or uninstall a program. it quickly pops up and then close down and thats
    > it i
    > > can't seem to open the .exe nearly forgot to mention that when i logout i
    > > have to end explorer and then wen login it reloads and then seems to work
    > but
    > > the the progams still don't.
    > > Someone please help me out
    > >
    > > thanx
    > > Sang

    i'm still having the problem can anyone help i found out something else also...
    even when i don't restart my comp or logoff my games will work when i
    install them but then after a certian amount of time it won't work anymore....
    someone please help me it's getting really annoing having to reinstall a
    program everytime i want to use it...

    thx
    Sang

Windows XP