clicking Noise.?!

G

OK i had a problem with my comp not running at 1.2 9x133 so me and a friend were trying different ram sticks becuase we knew that was the problem. We put this one in and the computer started and all of a sudden shut off. Then it wouldnt start again. I got the board to start again finally by shorting one of the transistors but it makes a clicking noise i know its none of the fans becuase i have tested all those. THe pc speaker is not hooked up either. by the way the comp doesnt have a cpu in at because i dont have any thermal compund. maybe that could cause the clicking?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, that is why it wont start....they usually wont turn on unless there is a cpu in it.
and not a good idea to be shorting transistors or resistors or capacitors.
could damage the board.
also, the clicking is probably like crashman said, the hard drive.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

They turn on fine without a cpu they just will not post
no not the hard drive and the board wouldnt even come on before so i didnt see harm in messing with it if when i get my cpu in it it wont post i will send it in for an rma from asus because there is no physical damage

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
wow....great...it wont post tho...so bunch of good that does you........
rma that thing....if you had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING hooked up to the motherboard, then there is no way to rule out the motherboard as being defective...could be other things...
inspect the core of the cpu....
without a cpu installed, the motherboard is not going to do ANYTHING.
you might get it to power on, but what good is that?
it is usually easier to trouble shoot something when you have the cpu in there, and a video card and a hard drive.
at least then you would be able to see what is going on...if anything...and if nothing...then check to make sure that the clear cmos jumper isnt shorting, and that the motherboard is not touching anything metal, because motherboards have a built in protection that will not power them on if they are grounded...

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
no clicking noise with the cpu in the socket?
maybe your powersupply was making the clicking noise, as in it was being damaged slightly, and its life shortened because there was not the correct ammount of drain on the atx power connector.
you do know that when the powersupply is putting out more juice than is being drawn, there is a backup of current, and a capacitor can EXPLODE?
sure, maybe just having a motherboard attached to the psu will not immediately kill the psu, but it might shorten it's life.

-DAvid