Alpha 8045 Heatsink and the Soltek motherboard

G

I posted this several days ago in the overclocking section and nobody has responded.

Will the Alpha 8045 heatsink fit on the Soltek SL-75DRV2 motherboard?
Will it fit with a Mod and if so how much needs to be removed to make it fit?

Thanks,
Mark

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
sometimes you can move capacitors, which are usually the problem when trying to fit stuff on a motherboard...like heatsinks, or trying to fint something in your case..
i personally would not do that...
especially if you need to move more than one or two.
what you do is unsolder the capacitor, and add some lead wires to extend it somewhere else, and attatch it to the motherboad or the case, insulating it with a piece of foam so that it doesnt short out and kill your system.
BUT, it is kinda risky, because it could effect system performance, but then again, i am not sure about that...so dont hold me to it.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Understand. I have seen some board mods to help with oc but I agree with you, too risky. thanks

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, moving parts on a motherboard can effect the timing of things...
sometimes a voltage mod is needed for overclocking...sometimes they take a power lead from the agp slot, or from the led or something that is giving off close to what they need. then they hook it up to the voltage pins on the socket of the processor..
that gives them the extra voltage that the motherboard cannot supply to the socket...
but generally, moving stuff around is not that great of an idea...
moving one or two capacitors might not effect the systems performance a noticeable ammount, but then again, they make them a certain way because that is the way it works, modding it will either increase perormance, or decrease it....it is all a risk that you have to REALLY think about before wrecking your motherboard to fit a bigger heatsink on it...

-DAvid

G

I wasn't talking about modding the board, but the heatsink. Removing a small bit of one corner with a saw. It is done all the time for some boards. I doubt the amount that needs to be romoved would even come close to the copper, but only remove one corner of the Aluminum.
If too much needs to be removed then it obviously wouldn't be worth it.

Mark

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ok, see, i thought you were talking about modding the motherboard.
but yeah, cutting a small corner off the heatsink isnt that bad...
but it might effect it's cooling ability, considering that you are taking off some of it's surface area.

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Now I can input. Have you looked at the Swiftech MCX-462? It is expensive but it has been designed for those pesky capacitors.<A HREF="http://www.swiftnets.com/cgi/shop.pl/page=FrameSet.htm" target="_new">http://www.swiftnets.com/cgi/shop.pl/page=FrameSet.htm</A>

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

In my case if the Alpha doesn't fit the Swiftech won't fit. The capiciter is about an inch tall. If it was smaller I would have went with the Swiftech straight off.
I ended up buying the Alpha and we will see if it fits. If it needs a mod I am sure it will just be a corner and won't reduce the surface area by much. Someone sent me a pic of their board that they said they alpha fit on and the drawing around the socket looks identical. They said that the heatsink fit within that drawing and if it does I should be fine.

Thanks,
Mark

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
The Alpha is a great heatsink and cheaper than the Swiftech. The change in the Swiftech was that the four corners were cut away to help with most mbs. I chose the MCX-462 for my ASUS because the Alpha would not fit. I hope it works for you because it is a great performer.