XP Problems

Tags:
  • Windows XP
January 23, 2005 4:28:15 PM

I have a new build that worked fine for about 3 weeks and then developed
major problems. At that time I was running behind a hardware firewall
with Norton AntiVirus, SpyBot S&D, & LavaSoft AdAware all up to date and
running. Scanning for virus/malware showed nothing there.

Basic Setup:
OS: Windows XP Home w/SP2
Motherboard: MSI K8T Neo2
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Memory: 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200
Video: ATI All-In-Wonder 128 PRO
Audio: Integrated Realtek AC'97

In attempting to fix the problems on my own, I've completely frustrated
myself and gone so far as to wipe and reformat both HDD's and reinstall
windows. To no avail, the problems remain. All my personal data and
settings are backed up elsewhere so I'm open to any and all solutions
proposed by those with more than my meager level of knowledge.

The problems are manifested in a variety of ways, some of which are
described below:

1.When trying to install the driver disk that came with the motherboard,
the system displays: "SETUP has encountered a problem and needs to
close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Looking at the error report
for this it shows "0xc0000092".

2. When trying to install a 3rd party program, (Partition Magic,
Quicken, Norton SystemWorks, etc.) the system displays: "InstallDriver
Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for
the inconvenience." Looking at the error report for this it shows
"0xc0000005".

3. When attempting to open the Security Center, the window hangs
partially open and causes a RUNDLL32.exe error.

There are other problems as well, but I'm not even sure that I'm
including the appropriate information someone would need to investigate
this problem. I'd appreciate opening a dialog (e-mail exchange, phone
conversation, etc.) with someone who can knowledgeably explore fixes for
this problem. Any additional information that I can provide, just let me
know what you need and I'll try and provide it.

Thanks,

John

More about : problems

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 9:54:33 PM

John;

This most likely is a memory (RAM) related problem. What brand of memory
are you running? If you are running two sticks, are they a matched pair?
Have you run memtest86 to see if that generates any errors?

Bobby

"John M. Oliva" <jmoliva@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o 3$VOlXAFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I have a new build that worked fine for about 3 weeks and then developed
> major problems. At that time I was running behind a hardware firewall
> with Norton AntiVirus, SpyBot S&D, & LavaSoft AdAware all up to date and
> running. Scanning for virus/malware showed nothing there.
>
> Basic Setup:
> OS: Windows XP Home w/SP2
> Motherboard: MSI K8T Neo2
> Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
> Memory: 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200
> Video: ATI All-In-Wonder 128 PRO
> Audio: Integrated Realtek AC'97
>
> In attempting to fix the problems on my own, I've completely frustrated
> myself and gone so far as to wipe and reformat both HDD's and reinstall
> windows. To no avail, the problems remain. All my personal data and
> settings are backed up elsewhere so I'm open to any and all solutions
> proposed by those with more than my meager level of knowledge.
>
> The problems are manifested in a variety of ways, some of which are
> described below:
>
> 1.When trying to install the driver disk that came with the motherboard,
> the system displays: "SETUP has encountered a problem and needs to
> close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Looking at the error report
> for this it shows "0xc0000092".
>
> 2. When trying to install a 3rd party program, (Partition Magic,
> Quicken, Norton SystemWorks, etc.) the system displays: "InstallDriver
> Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for
> the inconvenience." Looking at the error report for this it shows
> "0xc0000005".
>
> 3. When attempting to open the Security Center, the window hangs
> partially open and causes a RUNDLL32.exe error.
>
> There are other problems as well, but I'm not even sure that I'm
> including the appropriate information someone would need to investigate
> this problem. I'd appreciate opening a dialog (e-mail exchange, phone
> conversation, etc.) with someone who can knowledgeably explore fixes for
> this problem. Any additional information that I can provide, just let me
> know what you need and I'll try and provide it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 5:23:08 AM

It could also be a hard disk.
Assuming the HD is new, check the SMART data.
You can see the SMART data in Everest Home Addition
(free for personal use)
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang...

Or a power supply problem.
Haven't messed with an Athlon 64 yet, but I think the MB most likely
includes an AUX 12v connector like Intel P4.

--
Bob Dietz

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> John;
>
> This most likely is a memory (RAM) related problem. What brand of memory
> are you running? If you are running two sticks, are they a matched pair?
> Have you run memtest86 to see if that generates any errors?
>
> Bobby
>
> "John M. Oliva" <jmoliva@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:o 3$VOlXAFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>I have a new build that worked fine for about 3 weeks and then developed
>>major problems. At that time I was running behind a hardware firewall
>>with Norton AntiVirus, SpyBot S&D, & LavaSoft AdAware all up to date and
>>running. Scanning for virus/malware showed nothing there.
>>
>>Basic Setup:
>>OS: Windows XP Home w/SP2
>>Motherboard: MSI K8T Neo2
>>Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
>>Memory: 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200
>>Video: ATI All-In-Wonder 128 PRO
>>Audio: Integrated Realtek AC'97
>>
>>In attempting to fix the problems on my own, I've completely frustrated
>>myself and gone so far as to wipe and reformat both HDD's and reinstall
>>windows. To no avail, the problems remain. All my personal data and
>>settings are backed up elsewhere so I'm open to any and all solutions
>>proposed by those with more than my meager level of knowledge.
>>
>>The problems are manifested in a variety of ways, some of which are
>>described below:
>>
>>1.When trying to install the driver disk that came with the motherboard,
>>the system displays: "SETUP has encountered a problem and needs to
>>close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Looking at the error report
>>for this it shows "0xc0000092".
>>
>>2. When trying to install a 3rd party program, (Partition Magic,
>>Quicken, Norton SystemWorks, etc.) the system displays: "InstallDriver
>>Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for
>>the inconvenience." Looking at the error report for this it shows
>>"0xc0000005".
>>
>>3. When attempting to open the Security Center, the window hangs
>>partially open and causes a RUNDLL32.exe error.
>>
>>There are other problems as well, but I'm not even sure that I'm
>>including the appropriate information someone would need to investigate
>>this problem. I'd appreciate opening a dialog (e-mail exchange, phone
>>conversation, etc.) with someone who can knowledgeably explore fixes for
>>this problem. Any additional information that I can provide, just let me
>>know what you need and I'll try and provide it.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>John

January 24, 2005 12:38:09 PM

Bobby, Memory is by Crucial, yes a matched pair. Will try memtest86 and
let u know. Thanks.

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> John;
>
> This most likely is a memory (RAM) related problem. What brand of memory
> are you running? If you are running two sticks, are they a matched pair?
> Have you run memtest86 to see if that generates any errors?
>
> Bobby
>
> "John M. Oliva" <jmoliva@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:o 3$VOlXAFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>I have a new build that worked fine for about 3 weeks and then developed
>>major problems. At that time I was running behind a hardware firewall
>>with Norton AntiVirus, SpyBot S&D, & LavaSoft AdAware all up to date and
>>running. Scanning for virus/malware showed nothing there.
>>
>>Basic Setup:
>>OS: Windows XP Home w/SP2
>>Motherboard: MSI K8T Neo2
>>Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
>>Memory: 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200
>>Video: ATI All-In-Wonder 128 PRO
>>Audio: Integrated Realtek AC'97
>>
>>In attempting to fix the problems on my own, I've completely frustrated
>>myself and gone so far as to wipe and reformat both HDD's and reinstall
>>windows. To no avail, the problems remain. All my personal data and
>>settings are backed up elsewhere so I'm open to any and all solutions
>>proposed by those with more than my meager level of knowledge.
>>
>>The problems are manifested in a variety of ways, some of which are
>>described below:
>>
>>1.When trying to install the driver disk that came with the motherboard,
>>the system displays: "SETUP has encountered a problem and needs to
>>close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Looking at the error report
>>for this it shows "0xc0000092".
>>
>>2. When trying to install a 3rd party program, (Partition Magic,
>>Quicken, Norton SystemWorks, etc.) the system displays: "InstallDriver
>>Module has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for
>>the inconvenience." Looking at the error report for this it shows
>>"0xc0000005".
>>
>>3. When attempting to open the Security Center, the window hangs
>>partially open and causes a RUNDLL32.exe error.
>>
>>There are other problems as well, but I'm not even sure that I'm
>>including the appropriate information someone would need to investigate
>>this problem. I'd appreciate opening a dialog (e-mail exchange, phone
>>conversation, etc.) with someone who can knowledgeably explore fixes for
>>this problem. Any additional information that I can provide, just let me
>>know what you need and I'll try and provide it.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>John

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 2:15:41 PM

Bob Dietz wrote:

> It could also be a hard disk.
> Assuming the HD is new, check the SMART data.
> You can see the SMART data in Everest Home Addition
> (free for personal use)
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang...
>
> Or a power supply problem.
> Haven't messed with an Athlon 64 yet, but I think the MB most likely
> includes an AUX 12v connector like Intel P4.

Bob,

Downloaded Everest but couldn't install it ...

Application error..."exception EInvalidOP in module everesthome151.exe
at 5A971501. Invalid floating point operation"

additional thoughts?

John
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 3:08:06 PM

JohnInFlorida wrote:
> Bob Dietz wrote:
>
>> It could also be a hard disk.
>> Assuming the HD is new, check the SMART data.
>> You can see the SMART data in Everest Home Addition
>> (free for personal use)
>> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang...
>>
>> Or a power supply problem.
>> Haven't messed with an Athlon 64 yet, but I think the MB most likely
>> includes an AUX 12v connector like Intel P4.
>>
> Bob,
>
> Downloaded Everest but couldn't install it ...
>
> Application error..."exception EInvalidOP in module everesthome151.exe
> at 5A971501. Invalid floating point operation"
>
> additional thoughts?
>
> John

I didn't find anything about that problem in Everest's FAQ nor with a
google search. Other free SMART monitoring utilities are available, but
I haven't personally tried them. Here three examples:
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-04-08.htm#7
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-08-25.htm#7
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-08-18.htm#7

--
Bob Dietz
Anonymous

Event Viewer reports SMART status if it's failing. No events means no problems.

http://www.uscricket.com
"JohnInFlorida" <jndoliva@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:41F51F2D.1040606@yahoo.com...
> Bob Dietz wrote:
>
>> It could also be a hard disk.
>> Assuming the HD is new, check the SMART data.
>> You can see the SMART data in Everest Home Addition
>> (free for personal use)
>> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang...
>>
>> Or a power supply problem.
>> Haven't messed with an Athlon 64 yet, but I think the MB most likely
>> includes an AUX 12v connector like Intel P4.
>>
> Bob,
>
> Downloaded Everest but couldn't install it ...
>
> Application error..."exception EInvalidOP in module everesthome151.exe
> at 5A971501. Invalid floating point operation"
>
> additional thoughts?
>
> John
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 6:47:27 AM

David Candy wrote:
> Event Viewer reports SMART status if it's failing. No events means no problems.

I wasn't aware that info was available in event viewer. Any idea which
service logs the events? Are you sure that service is a standard part of
the operating system?

Also, what if SMART is NOT enabled in the BIOS?

--
Bob Dietz
!