Closed Solved

Should I switch to Recon in BF3?

I am new to Battlefield, this being the first real Battlefield game that I have owned (I owned BBC2). Needless to say, I started out doing terrible. I ran all over the map and would consistently die twice for every kill. The past 2 days, however, I have finally figured it out. My K/D is not that good (not that I care) over the past couple days - but it is the way I am playing now, I can tell that I am getting better.

I am careful, stay near teammates - I have abandoned the stupid tactical light (all it does is give away your position, it won't stop an experienced player from cracking you in the head), opting instead for the heavy barrel. I abandoned the stupid noob tube sling, opting instead for the bipod - I get somewhere safe and go prone and carefully keep enemies at bay, I don't run around like a chicken with my head cut off, anymore - I am playing the game now!

With that said, I am a little worried about my guns accuracy - I swear I have had the scope xhair on the head of the enemy and only about half the time do I get the kill. In fact, anything over 200 meters is a 50/50 proposition with the assault class.

Should I get to know the game more, or should I make the switch to recon?

I am seriously considering the switch. I am about 1/2 of the way to the final unlock for assault, but I think recon suits my style. Prone, patience, pop.

BTW, I play TD exclusively.

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about should switch recon
  1. i believe you answered your own question =)
    if you think recon is your style, go for recon.
  2. Yanthrax said:
    i believe you answered your own question =)
    if you think recon is your style, go for recon.


    Well, I do believe that Recon is my style. But I was wondering if I should wait until I was better - more acclimated - better map awareness - greater knowledge of the fundamentals - etc, or if I should just start now.

    That is what I am trying to decide.
  3. PCgamer81 said:
    Well, I do believe that Recon is my style. But I was wondering if I should wait until I was better - more acclimated - better map awareness - greater knowledge of the fundamentals - etc, or if I should just start now.

    That is what I am trying to decide.


    Assault and recon play very different, i would just play as recon for now as you'll get better in all those things over time.
  4. Best answer
    I'm a fairly decent BF3 player. 2.0+ KDR at the moment. I have earned a service star in each of the classes and I'm rank 48 at the moment (I slowed down on playing after I hit 45). Honestly recon is the worst class in the game at the moment. It might just be me, but the semi-auto snipers are horribly inaccurate and the bolt actions don't 1-hit within 20 meters anywhere in the torso (which they should). I don't prefer recon personally, but the only map I've seen where I actually like it is in Operation Metro conquest mode, when there is a fight for Bravo.

    The best bet for any player is to use the IRNV scope until it is nerfed, and use guns like Support-M240b with foregrip/extended ammo box, Assault-F2000 with foregrip/silencer, Engineer-G36C with foregrip/silencer. The reason I suggest using silencers on those 2 classes is because it reduces the vertical climb of the weapons in full-auto fire somewhat, and this is important in BF3 for winning shootouts. You lose some long-range effectiveness but that doesn't really matter on the most popular maps (Grand Bazaar, Metro, Seine Crossing).

    If you're going to go recon, I strongly recommend the bolt actions, with the M39 being the only semi-auto sniper that I liked personally. The bolt actions are slower and you have to aim precisely, but their damage curves are stronger at ranges and you'll leech more kills with body shots (head shots are 1hit kills either way).

    The most important thing for recon is to pick a pistol that you like. You will use the pistol as recon more than any other class because of how inefficient close-range no-scoping is with the sniper rifles at the moment. I personally like the Glock18 silenced, the .44mag, the .357 (the rex), and the MP-443 with tac-light.

    I recommend not playing much in prone as recon particularly on the maps with a lot of action. It's incredibly easy to headshot prone players. If you want to reduce your profile, play on corners and pop out, crouch, line up an ambush shot and at most take 2 shots in that spot. If you don't get a kill, tuck back behind your corner anyway and consider relocating.

    The biggest mistake recons make is that they try to play prone and immobile, and that is when they get countersniped by assault rifles.

    Best of luck, and I hope some of this is helpful for you =).


    Quick Edit: I forgot to mention, don't fall into the trap of always using the 12x ballistic scope as recon. On maps where you have shorter avenues of view, or where you want to maintain wider peripheral vision because there is a lot of action, the 8x/7x/Acog are all options you have to try out and decide which you prefer.

    Also, you said you play TDM exclusively and Recon is by far the weakest class in that game mode. Assault/Engineer/Support are no question the way to go for TDM on every single map (the only maps that even remotely cater to recon in TDM are tehran highway and grand bazaar).
  5. Best answer selected by PcGamer81.
  6. casualcolors said:
    I'm a fairly decent BF3 player. 2.0+ KDR at the moment. I have earned a service star in each of the classes and I'm rank 48 at the moment (I slowed down on playing after I hit 45). Honestly recon is the worst class in the game at the moment. It might just be me, but the semi-auto snipers are horribly inaccurate and the bolt actions don't 1-hit within 20 meters anywhere in the torso (which they should). I don't prefer recon personally, but the only map I've seen where I actually like it is in Operation Metro conquest mode, when there is a fight for Bravo.

    The best bet for any player is to use the IRNV scope until it is nerfed, and use guns like Support-M240b with foregrip/extended ammo box, Assault-F2000 with foregrip/silencer, Engineer-G36C with foregrip/silencer. The reason I suggest using silencers on those 2 classes is because it reduces the vertical climb of the weapons in full-auto fire somewhat, and this is important in BF3 for winning shootouts. You lose some long-range effectiveness but that doesn't really matter on the most popular maps (Grand Bazaar, Metro, Seine Crossing).

    If you're going to go recon, I strongly recommend the bolt actions, with the M39 being the only semi-auto sniper that I liked personally. The bolt actions are slower and you have to aim precisely, but their damage curves are stronger at ranges and you'll leech more kills with body shots (head shots are 1hit kills either way).

    The most important thing for recon is to pick a pistol that you like. You will use the pistol as recon more than any other class because of how inefficient close-range no-scoping is with the sniper rifles at the moment. I personally like the Glock18 silenced, the .44mag, the .357 (the rex), and the MP-443 with tac-light.

    I recommend not playing much in prone as recon particularly on the maps with a lot of action. It's incredibly easy to headshot prone players. If you want to reduce your profile, play on corners and pop out, crouch, line up an ambush shot and at most take 2 shots in that spot. If you don't get a kill, tuck back behind your corner anyway and consider relocating.

    The biggest mistake recons make is that they try to play prone and immobile, and that is when they get countersniped by assault rifles.

    Best of luck, and I hope some of this is helpful for you =).


    Quick Edit: I forgot to mention, don't fall into the trap of always using the 12x ballistic scope as recon. On maps where you have shorter avenues of view, or where you want to maintain wider peripheral vision because there is a lot of action, the 8x/7x/Acog are all options you have to try out and decide which you prefer.

    Also, you said you play TDM exclusively and Recon is by far the weakest class in that game mode. Assault/Engineer/Support are no question the way to go for TDM on every single map (the only maps that even remotely cater to recon in TDM are tehran highway and grand bazaar).


    I could not have asked for a better answer. I will refer back to this often. Thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

Battlefield Games Video Games