Does minimizing a game reduce performance?

darkstar845

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
If while I am playing a game like Crysis 2 in multiplayer/SP and I minimize the game to do something on the web while I am dead, will that lower my fps slightly throughout the whole game when I come back to the game and play?

For example before when I launch the game my fps is 65fps, and after minimizing the game and coming back to the game will my fps become 60fps or retain the 65fps?

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
There isn't really a clear answer to your question. Things like this are very complicated and the only real way to know whether or not it is impacting your fps in a meaningful way would be to download some kind of program that lets your monitor your fps.

Short answer: it depends entirely on how the game itself is coded. The human eye can theoretically only see about 60fps anyway, so your example probably wouldn't have any visible impact even if it is dropping a little.

If you'd like some well-written reading material on the subject, I suggest the following link: Alt-tCRASH

kufan, the human eye can see a lot more than 60fps in fact some people will see flickering if they look at a 60hz image. some estimates put the human eye at some where nearer 400fps. if there was no truth to this there would be no use for intentional blur, blur helps ease the transitions from 1 frame to the next making the image apear much smoother than it was. without blurring you actually need more fps to get a smooth playback and fool the eye/brain.

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I would also like to see a reference for your eyes being able to theoretically see 400fps. I know we're getting way OT, but I've always heard that it was right around 60fps and that any higher would show no visible difference.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm
some interesting explanations here...
a lot of people make the same mistake. thinking they eye works like fps. when in fact its constant. the reason i say nearer 400 fps, is because after that it becomes a subconscious reaction that something is different in the image. so i would clarify my reply in saying the eye can see over 400fps due to the fact the eye works constantly. but at 400+ you may not be aware that you saw something.