EVDO is alive in Chicago

Paul-

Thanks for the useful information.

Where did you buy that antenna with the proper connector?

-Eric

"Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Getting VZW EVDO coverage at about 400k down / 110k up with the PC5220
> card in downtown Chicago (specifically the Gold Coast area, near Clark &
> Division St.)
>
> P.S. Using the ARC Wireless Freedom Antenna for signal boost:
> http://www.antennas.com/arcProduct.html
>
> Seems to work well.
>

> -- Paul

Look for "PCMCIA card Pigtails" or do an online search. There are a number
of places that have/sell them, they have a small connector that goes in the
card, and the other end has the standard mini uhf that goes to antennas.
A quick search gives:
PigTail - SeattleWireless
.... whip antennas commonly use RP-TNC or Reverse SMA), so there are many
kinds of varieties of pigtails ... I add a pigtail to a PCMCIA card? That
is, if it ...
www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/PigTail
WiFi Pigtails | Wireless pigtail adapters
.... RadioLabs Wireless Pigtails. The perfect solution for adapting any
wireless card, access point, router or wireless ... AirStation 11 Mbps
Wireless Flat PCMCIA Card. MMX ...
www.radiolabs.com/products/cables/pigtail.php
IrishWAN.org Forums - For Sale/Good Deals
.... 110s; Another source of lucent gear; 2 x Orinoco AP-500's & 2 x 19inch
Orinoco / Avaya to N-Female Pigtails For Sale; Orinoco SIlver PCMCIA Card
Links; Orinoco ...
www.irishwan.org/board/archive.13.html
High Power 802.11 PCMCIA Card with Antenna
... Integrated Internal Antenna 802.11b 11Mbps PCMCIA Type II Card
Significantly Improved Indoor ... ... 200 mW PC Card External Antenna mini
PCI Card pigtails antennas access points 802.11g 802.11a+g IN ...
www.netgate.com/EL2511.html
PCMCIA Cards for Laptops, Other
.... & Accessories Dongle Pigtails · Drives · PCCard, NICs · PCMCIA, USB 2.0.
Networking Network Cables Cat5 · Network Interface Cards · Switches ·
Wireless.
tekgems.com/Products/cat-pcmcia.other.htm
What's New Here? www.wirelesslan.gr
www.wirelesslan.gr What's New Here? - Software Amplifiers Antennas
Connectors Cables PCI mini PCI Pigtails Accessories Splitters Wireless
Routers PCMCIA USB Card Flash POE Power Supply Converters Tools
www.wirelesslan-products.com
Wireless LAN Radio Pigtails
List of WiFi radio, access points, bridges and PCMCIA Card connection types.
.... wireless LAN pigtails and adapter cables ... build custom
pigtails/adapter cables ... Pigtails are not returnable. Select Pigtail by
Connection Type: -- Select.
www.hyperlinktech.com/web/cable.list.php
Metrix Communication LLC
... Kits Barebones Radio Cards VoIP Products Parts and Pigtails Reference
Community Partners About our Company Contact us 802.11b PCMCIA Radio Card w/
2 External Antenna Jacks Get the best possible ...
metrix.net/metrix/products/radios.2511CDPlusEXT2.html
Wireless Instruments - wirelesslan, microwave connectors, antennas,
pigtails,
Wirelesslan, wireless, microwave connectors, antennas, amplifiers, pigtails,
mc-card, mmcx, mcx, N, SMA, RP-SMA, SMA RP, N, 2, 4 GHz, 5, 7 GHz, 5, 3 GHz,
3, 5GHz, Wi-Fi, 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11b , access points,
www.wireless-instruments.com
Engenius Senao 200mw PCMCIA Card w/ MMCX Connectors NL 2511 CD PLUS EXT2
... With the card upside down and the pcmcia connector pointing towards
you the send receive port is the connector on your right. Requires external
or clip on antenna see ea-2402 and pigtails Up to ...
keenansystems.com/store/engenius.ext2.htm

Eric Rosenberry wrote:
> Paul-
>
> Thanks for the useful information.
>
> Where did you buy that antenna with the proper connector?
>
> -Eric
>
> "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Getting VZW EVDO coverage at about 400k down / 110k up with the
>> PC5220 card in downtown Chicago (specifically the Gold Coast area,
>> near Clark & Division St.)
>>
>> P.S. Using the ARC Wireless Freedom Antenna for signal boost:
>> http://www.antennas.com/arcProduct.html
>>
>> Seems to work well.
>>

>> -- Paul

Paul

Splendid

Eric, I purchased mine here:

Antenna $59.50:
http://www.yourwirelesssource.com/PhoneAccessoryDetail.asp?SKU=499423

Pigtail $22.10:
http://www.yourwirelesssource.com/PhoneAccessoryDetail.asp?SKU=421575

-- Paul

> Eric, I purchased mine here:
>
> Antenna $59.50:
> http://www.yourwirelesssource.com/PhoneAccessoryDetail.asp?SKU=499423
>
> Pigtail $22.10:
> http://www.yourwirelesssource.com/PhoneAccessoryDetail.asp?SKU=421575
>

> -- Paul
>

> "Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote in message
>> Paul-
>>
>> Thanks for the useful information.
>>
>> Where did you buy that antenna with the proper connector?
>>
>> -Eric
>>
>> "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> Getting VZW EVDO coverage at about 400k down / 110k up with the PC5220
>>> card in downtown Chicago (specifically the Gold Coast area, near Clark
>>> & Division St.)
>>>
>>> P.S. Using the ARC Wireless Freedom Antenna for signal boost:
>>> http://www.antennas.com/arcProduct.html
>>>
>>> Seems to work well.

Canyon River
http://www.canyonriver.com/online/order.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=C&Category_Code=ARC
has the antenna for about $40. Best price I found on the pigtail has always
been around $20 or so.

--
Thomas M. Goethe

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

How do you sign up for this service? How much does it coast?

"Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Getting VZW EVDO coverage at about 400k down / 110k up with the PC5220
> card in downtown Chicago (specifically the Gold Coast area, near Clark &
> Division St.)
>
> P.S. Using the ARC Wireless Freedom Antenna for signal boost:
> http://www.antennas.com/arcProduct.html
>
> Seems to work well.
>

> -- Paul

Depends where you live (if it is even available in your area yet, defaults
to NA in non BA areas), and what device you have (not on phones yet,
PCMCIA/cardbus cards only at this point) Available from Verizon (Broadband
and Nationalaccess) is $79.95 a month. See the details on the Verizon
Website.

User wrote:
> How do you sign up for this service? How much does it coast?
>
> "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Getting VZW EVDO coverage at about 400k down / 110k up with the
>> PC5220 card in downtown Chicago (specifically the Gold Coast area,
>> near Clark & Division St.)
>>
>> P.S. Using the ARC Wireless Freedom Antenna for signal boost:
>> http://www.antennas.com/arcProduct.html
>>
>> Seems to work well.
>>

>> -- Paul

Hi, I don't see Chicago listed as one of the cities with EVDO yet. I
wonder how you are able to access it already?

Do you know if it will be in the suburbs, or is it just downtown?

Thanks!

--
climer511

Paul

Splendid

Chicago is not on the official VZW EVDO list yet, but has been rumored for
the past few months. www.evdo-coverage.com was pre-announcing cities like
Chicago, but it sounds like he had his hand slapped by VZW and can't make
such claims anymore.

I assume I was able to get on because they are beta testing the EVDO and
about ready to officially launch it (wild guess -- maybe waiting for Jan
1?)

I was visiting Chicago for the holidays so I have no idea what the coverage
is beyond downtown...

-- Paul

"climer511" <climer511.1i3j7m@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message

> Hi, I don't see Chicago listed as one of the cities with EVDO yet. I
> wonder how you are able to access it already?
>
> Do you know if it will be in the suburbs, or is it just downtown?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> climer511
> brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:40:14 -0500, "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>Chicago is not on the official VZW EVDO list yet, but has been rumored for
>the past few months. www.evdo-coverage.com was pre-announcing cities like
>Chicago, but it sounds like he had his hand slapped by VZW and can't make
>such claims anymore.
>
>I assume I was able to get on because they are beta testing the EVDO and
>about ready to officially launch it (wild guess -- maybe waiting for Jan
>1?)

Anybody got any idea where they got the spectrum for it?

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Things are more like they are now than they have ever been." - Gerald Ford

cdma allows voice and data to use the same specturm, hence Verizon does
not have to purchase more specturm unlike GSM providers which have to
reallocate specturm or purchase more.

On 6 Jan 2005 18:27:03 -0800, "DoctorZ" <czervas@bellsouth.net> chose to
add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>cdma allows voice and data to use the same specturm, hence Verizon does
>not have to purchase more specturm unlike GSM providers which have to
>reallocate specturm or purchase more.

That's what I thought, but then I was given to believe that the EV-DO
systems around the country were in fact using separate spectrum from the
existing 1xRTT infrastructure.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"If a frog had wings, he wouldn't hit his tail on the ground. Too
hypothetical." - George Bush [Daddy, IIRC], on extending uneployment
benefits

The GSM providers USA Europe are using a form of CDMA for their 3G data
and that does require spectrum to be allocated for data only access.

CDMA ability to mix voice data and voice is a huge advantage.

Also consider Verizon EV-DO is using less spectrum than 1XRTT for a
given data transfer. For example a 100% utilized 128Kbs leased landline
would be only 25% utilized if the line was upgraded to 512Kbs. Also the
retransmitted are far fewer for EV-DO compare to 1XRTT in fringe areas.
Retransmits of tcp packets is of course wasted utilization of a given
media.