System restore will not open

January 24, 2005 1:17:05 PM

I have system restore turned on. I cannot open it from
start/accessories/system nor from the start/control panel/performance and
maintenance/system. the first choice sends an error message to Microsoft.
The second choice of access gives the error message "An exception occurred
while trying to run "C;\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Contol_RunDLL
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\sysdm.cpl",system"
both files exist in the system folder.
What is going on? I can neither access system restore nor turn it off.

I recently found I had temporarily turned off some of my firewall settings
for a day inadvertantly and a lot of spyware was installed. I restored my
firewall settings; removed the spyware with Spybot. The system runs faster,
and all seems to work except the system restore.

More about : system restore open

January 24, 2005 1:49:02 PM

After further searching I think I found the answer in the "General " XP forum
under "Problem running system restore from control panel" 11/12/2004 10:18am
PST (search that subject in the general forum)
the answer was:

Hi You'll have to try and re-install System Restore, if you can't access it
at all.Open Windows Explorer and go to the windows\inf folder. Find a file
named sr.inf, right click on it and select 'Install'.-- Will DennyMS-MVP -
Windows Shell/UserPlease reply to the News Groups

"Greg" wrote:

> I have system restore turned on. I cannot open it from
> start/accessories/system nor from the start/control panel/performance and
> maintenance/system. the first choice sends an error message to Microsoft.
> The second choice of access gives the error message "An exception occurred
> while trying to run "C;\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Contol_RunDLL
> "C:\WINDOWS\System32\sysdm.cpl",system"
> both files exist in the system folder.
> What is going on? I can neither access system restore nor turn it off.
>
> I recently found I had temporarily turned off some of my firewall settings
> for a day inadvertantly and a lot of spyware was installed. I restored my
> firewall settings; removed the spyware with Spybot. The system runs faster,
> and all seems to work except the system restore.

January 24, 2005 2:15:04 PM

System restore is working again after the reinstalling the sf.inf.
It was easy.

First asked for the ServicePack2 cd, but I had no Cd and found the needed
file in C:\WINDOWS\servicepackfiles\i386
Then it asked for my WindowsXPHome CD, I had to browse to the i386 folder on
the XP CD for the two files it then asked for.
A reboot and I can now access System Restore.

Greg, a simple user with enough knowledge to be useful or dangerous.

"Greg" wrote:

> After further searching I think I found the answer in the "General " XP forum
> under "Problem running system restore from control panel" 11/12/2004 10:18am
> PST (search that subject in the general forum)
> the answer was:
>
> Hi You'll have to try and re-install System Restore, if you can't access it
> at all.Open Windows Explorer and go to the windows\inf folder. Find a file
> named sr.inf, right click on it and select 'Install'.-- Will DennyMS-MVP -
> Windows Shell/UserPlease reply to the News Groups
>

> "Greg" wrote:
>
> > I have system restore turned on. I cannot open it from
> > start/accessories/system nor from the start/control panel/performance and
> > maintenance/system. the first choice sends an error message to Microsoft.
> > The second choice of access gives the error message "An exception occurred
> > while trying to run "C;\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Contol_RunDLL
> > "C:\WINDOWS\System32\sysdm.cpl",system"
> > both files exist in the system folder.
> > What is going on? I can neither access system restore nor turn it off.
> >
> > I recently found I had temporarily turned off some of my firewall settings
> > for a day inadvertantly and a lot of spyware was installed. I restored my
> > firewall settings; removed the spyware with Spybot. The system runs faster,
> > and all seems to work except the system restore.

January 24, 2005 11:21:02 PM

That's interresting, my System Restore doesn't work either, so I tried the
install on the <SR.INF> file and when it asked me for the SP2 cd, I could not
find a good <sr.sys> file anywhere on my computer. I have a verion in
<$NtServicePackUninstall$>, one in <system32\dllcache>, one in
<system32\driver> and one in <LastGood\system32\DRIVER> but none of them is
good.

So I tried to find a copy from Microsoft website, but all I got was a
million instructions about System Restore, but none where to download a valid
file.

Anyone can point me to a download place?

Thanks!
January 28, 2005 2:57:12 PM

Greg - Thanks for posting this. My System Restore has been broken for a couple
months now. I tried all the Knowledge Base and other fixes I saw posted here
and nothing worked. But reinstalling sr.inf did the trick. - Ron
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:53:01 AM

I had the same problem Greg had. I did the sr.inf install as suggested and
all is now fine. Thanks!

!