Laptop won't boot - says "pci.sys missing or corrupt"

I have a Toshiba satellite laptop. Recently updated Toshiba console program.
Reboot unsuccessful always giving above message. I have xp home sp2 and
have tried to boot up using 6-floppy sp2 boot program. Upon loading of 6th
disk, I get message that windows has detected error and has shutdown to
protect my computer. Is suggests checking hard drive with chkdsk. But I
can't figure out how to boot up in dos to run the program. If I could, I
would try to write a new pci.sys file to windows directory to see if that
works. Anyone have any ideas how I can get booted up to copy the file and/or
run the chkdsk program? Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about laptop boot missing corrupt

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Mike" wrote:

    | I have a Toshiba satellite laptop. Recently updated Toshiba console program.
    | Reboot unsuccessful always giving above message. I have xp home sp2 and
    | have tried to boot up using 6-floppy sp2 boot program. Upon loading of 6th
    | disk, I get message that windows has detected error and has shutdown to
    | protect my computer. Is suggests checking hard drive with chkdsk. But I
    | can't figure out how to boot up in dos to run the program. If I could, I
    | would try to write a new pci.sys file to windows directory to see if that
    | works. Anyone have any ideas how I can get booted up to copy the file and/or
    | run the chkdsk program? Thanks

    Thanks for the link. I will try it out tomorrow. I am traveling and my
    recovery disk only has ghost files that I can't see or access. It will only
    let me wipe the harddrive and reimage the original OS copy. I am trying to
    borrow a retail CD from a training mate to use to recover. It looks like
    this website's instructions should do the trick. Will give feedback in a
    couple of days. Thanks again. Mike

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    >
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Mike" wrote:
    >
    > | I have a Toshiba satellite laptop. Recently updated Toshiba console program.
    > | Reboot unsuccessful always giving above message. I have xp home sp2 and
    > | have tried to boot up using 6-floppy sp2 boot program. Upon loading of 6th
    > | disk, I get message that windows has detected error and has shutdown to
    > | protect my computer. Is suggests checking hard drive with chkdsk. But I
    > | can't figure out how to boot up in dos to run the program. If I could, I
    > | would try to write a new pci.sys file to windows directory to see if that
    > | works. Anyone have any ideas how I can get booted up to copy the file and/or
    > | run the chkdsk program? Thanks

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330181
    Windows XP Problems with Damaged or Incompatible Hardware

    >I have a Toshiba satellite laptop. Recently updated Toshiba console program.
    > Reboot unsuccessful always giving above message. I have xp home sp2 and
    > have tried to boot up using 6-floppy sp2 boot program. Upon loading of 6th
    > disk, I get message that windows has detected error and has shutdown to
    > protect my computer. Is suggests checking hard drive with chkdsk. But I
    > can't figure out how to boot up in dos to run the program. If I could, I
    > would try to write a new pci.sys file to windows directory to see if that
    > works. Anyone have any ideas how I can get booted up to copy the file and/or
    > run the chkdsk program? Thanks

    Thanks for the link. I have checked it out and it looks like it does not
    apply. My problem is with my laptop, and I am not using any addons. The
    only thing I have added (many months ago) is an extra memory module. I saw
    some newsgroup discussions that said memory could cause it. So I removed the
    added module, then replaced and removed the module that came with the laptop.
    Neither configuration change worked. Still get the same message.
    Mike

    "Taurarian" wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330181
    > Windows XP Problems with Damaged or Incompatible Hardware
    >

    > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a Toshiba satellite laptop. Recently updated Toshiba console program.
    > > Reboot unsuccessful always giving above message. I have xp home sp2 and
    > > have tried to boot up using 6-floppy sp2 boot program. Upon loading of 6th
    > > disk, I get message that windows has detected error and has shutdown to
    > > protect my computer. Is suggests checking hard drive with chkdsk. But I
    > > can't figure out how to boot up in dos to run the program. If I could, I
    > > would try to write a new pci.sys file to windows directory to see if that
    > > works. Anyone have any ideas how I can get booted up to copy the file and/or
    > > run the chkdsk program? Thanks

    I hate to say this...but...

    I had a friend bring their machine to me with the exact same problem. I
    tried using the recovery module...nogo.

    Then tried a reinstall...that didn't help. Did the normal chkdsk, etc,
    yada-yada and finally, in a real fit of exasperation fdisk -> format c:

    That worked!!!

    If someone has a real answer to this problem, I'd also like to see it. I
    have another system with the same problem and am really, really going to hate
    fixing it. 200GB hard drive that is at 52%. If I have to do a complete
    reinstall on this puppy...it's going to cost my client a lot!!

    Oh...yeah...there was also one client that their 1.5 yr old, brand named
    hard drive was failing and it had the same error. I did reformat that one
    too, only to have it finally die the next day...sigh... the life of a techie!!

    bill

    "Mike" wrote:

    > Thanks for the link. I have checked it out and it looks like it does not
    > apply. My problem is with my laptop, and I am not using any addons. The
    > only thing I have added (many months ago) is an extra memory module. I saw
    > some newsgroup discussions that said memory could cause it. So I removed the
    > added module, then replaced and removed the module that came with the laptop.
    > Neither configuration change worked. Still get the same message.
    > Mike
    >
    > "Taurarian" wrote:

    > > Windows XP Problems with Damaged or Incompatible Hardware
    > >

    > > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I have a Toshiba satellite laptop. Recently updated Toshiba console program.
    > > > Reboot unsuccessful always giving above message. I have xp home sp2 and
    > > > have tried to boot up using 6-floppy sp2 boot program. Upon loading of 6th
    > > > disk, I get message that windows has detected error and has shutdown to
    > > > protect my computer. Is suggests checking hard drive with chkdsk. But I
    > > > can't figure out how to boot up in dos to run the program. If I could, I
    > > > would try to write a new pci.sys file to windows directory to see if that
    > > > works. Anyone have any ideas how I can get booted up to copy the file and/or
    > > > run the chkdsk program? Thanks

Laptops Boot Toshiba Windows XP