I run Win XP 2003 Professional on a P-4, with two internal hard drives (the
slave for data), plus I have a large external drive for backups. Because I
do much data processing, I'd like to do a periodic 'normal backup' (30+ Gigs
of data), then daily incremental backups. However, the FAT32 format limits
filesize to 4 gigs, and Windows BACKUP wants to perform with just one backup
file. I can't seem to complete the 'normal' backup because of the file size
limitation. Is there some way around this, without backing up one directory
at a time, or do I have to go to RETROSPECT or other (expensive) software?

You simply need to convert your FAT32 drive to NTFS.

Read the following before proceeding:

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm

[Courtesy of Alex Nichol, MS-MVP]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Thunder_Acres" wrote:

| I run Win XP 2003 Professional on a P-4, with two internal hard drives (the
| slave for data), plus I have a large external drive for backups. Because I
| do much data processing, I'd like to do a periodic 'normal backup' (30+ Gigs
| of data), then daily incremental backups. However, the FAT32 format limits
| filesize to 4 gigs, and Windows BACKUP wants to perform with just one backup
| file. I can't seem to complete the 'normal' backup because of the file size
| limitation. Is there some way around this, without backing up one directory
| at a time, or do I have to go to RETROSPECT or other (expensive) software?

Thank, and okay, my lacking experience but having read the srticle you
pointed to, it brings other questions to mind, however naive these may seem
to you:
1) Does the conversion destroy existing data on the drive (I think not, but
best to be certain).
2) Is this NTFS conversion on one drive create any conflict with other
drives (in FAT32).
3) Since I note the conversion is not reversible, are there important
reasons NOT to convert all drives to NTFS?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You simply need to convert your FAT32 drive to NTFS.
>
> Read the following before proceeding:
>
> Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm
>
> [Courtesy of Alex Nichol, MS-MVP]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Thunder_Acres" wrote:
>
> | I run Win XP 2003 Professional on a P-4, with two internal hard drives (the
> | slave for data), plus I have a large external drive for backups. Because I
> | do much data processing, I'd like to do a periodic 'normal backup' (30+ Gigs
> | of data), then daily incremental backups. However, the FAT32 format limits
> | filesize to 4 gigs, and Windows BACKUP wants to perform with just one backup
> | file. I can't seem to complete the 'normal' backup because of the file size
> | limitation. Is there some way around this, without backing up one directory
> | at a time, or do I have to go to RETROSPECT or other (expensive) software?

1) No. But as a precaution, backup critical files to a CD.

2) No.

3) Windows XP performs best on a drive formatted NTFS.
Be sure to defrag your drives after the conversion.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Thunder_Acres" wrote:

| Thank, and okay, my lacking experience but having read the srticle you
| pointed to, it brings other questions to mind, however naive these may seem
| to you:
| 1) Does the conversion destroy existing data on the drive (I think not, but
| best to be certain).
| 2) Is this NTFS conversion on one drive create any conflict with other
| drives (in FAT32).
| 3) Since I note the conversion is not reversible, are there important
| reasons NOT to convert all drives to NTFS?

Thank you. That's been very helpful.
Thunder_Acres

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> 1) No. But as a precaution, backup critical files to a CD.
>
> 2) No.
>
> 3) Windows XP performs best on a drive formatted NTFS.
> Be sure to defrag your drives after the conversion.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Thunder_Acres" wrote:
>
> | Thank, and okay, my lacking experience but having read the srticle you
> | pointed to, it brings other questions to mind, however naive these may seem
> | to you:
> | 1) Does the conversion destroy existing data on the drive (I think not, but
> | best to be certain).
> | 2) Is this NTFS conversion on one drive create any conflict with other
> | drives (in FAT32).
> | 3) Since I note the conversion is not reversible, are there important
> | reasons NOT to convert all drives to NTFS?

Hi, Thunder_Acres.

I agree with Carey on this and just want to add...

The ONLY reason I know of to format your HD as FAT32 is if you plan to
install Win9x/ME on this computer. They can't even SEE a volume formatted
NTFS.

But WinXP will mix and match FAT(any version) and NTFS as easily and
seamlessly as it mixes and matches floppies (FAT12), CD/DVDs (UDF and CDFS)
and other file system formats. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA