Sign in with
Your question

Internet speed

Last response: in Windows 7
October 15, 2009 1:48:20 PM

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone is having some trouble with the internet speeds, specifically the browser speeds in Windows 7. The download speeds seems to be okay but the browsers speeds are pretty slow and it seems like they are lagging. The download speeds are okay and if I run Speedtest it gives me the right results but it is still much slower than Vista or XP was.

Where I can see a real difference is when I try to watch a streaming video in the browser it is pretty slow compared to previous OSes

I am using the RTM version of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

Does anyone else having issues with that? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) 

More about : internet speed

a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2009 6:22:31 PM

If are you using IE 7 or IE8, maybe is for the phishing. Try with firefox or chrome or safari...
m
l
October 15, 2009 6:26:15 PM

I did try every browser, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and it is the same. It is very weird because the download speed with Steam for instance is 1.1Mb/sec, with any browser it doesn't go beyond 150-200kb/sec.

I was thinking that it might be a driver issue but then everything internet related would be affected by it not just the web browsers.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2009 6:30:37 PM

The problem is also with P2P programs?, I will try in my home PC this night and tell you the results.
m
l
October 15, 2009 6:32:46 PM

saint19 said:
The problem is also with P2P programs?, I will try in my home PC this night and tell you the results.

You mean with torrent and stuff? I did not try it yet. I don't know how Steam works but I don't think that is a P2P, I might be wrong.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2009 6:35:35 PM

Yes with torrent programs like Azureus or bittorrent.
m
l
October 15, 2009 6:41:49 PM

That I did not try yet, but I never got any high speeds with those anyways. I don't remember ever getting higher than 100-200 kb/sec download speeds with qtorrent.

I am more concerned about the browser lack of speeds though. I don't remember ever had to wait for a youtube video to buffer before, and I've tried other websites and other videos also like IGN, or gametrailers.com and it is the same thing with all of them, the browser is just slow.

I did some Google search and I see a lot of people are having this same issue but none of the solutions worked for me so far. Things like rollback my network card drivers, or getting the latest network card driver, or tweaking the registry, and windows settings did not do anything so far. Disabling or uninstalling antivirus firewall software did not change anything, neither did installing the latest and greatest drivers for my router.

I will try and connect to the internet directly (without my router) tonight and see if that changes anything.
m
l
a c 233 $ Windows 7
October 15, 2009 6:44:22 PM

Make sure a your chipset and LAN/NIC drivers are up to date. Also, try disabling any antivirus software to see if it is effecting your downloads.

I have Win7 Ultimate x64 RTM and have no problems with browsing or streaming videos using firefox.
m
l
October 15, 2009 6:57:28 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Make sure a your chipset and LAN/NIC drivers are up to date. Also, try disabling any antivirus software to see if it is effecting your downloads.

I have Win7 Ultimate x64 RTM and have no problems with browsing or streaming videos using firefox.

I am using the same Win7 version as you. I will install the chipset drivers, I forgot to do that last night. That might be the problem. As far as Antivir/Firewall software I did try to disable/uninstall that and it made no difference.

I am using ESET internet security 4. I never had any issues with that in the past, I was using Vista Home Pro 64 before.
m
l
October 16, 2009 2:09:37 AM

Well after installing the chipset drivers and I updated to the latest and greatest beta network card drivers my internet speeds seems to be improved a lot. I wouldn't say it is back up to the same level they are in XP but definitely a lot faster than they used to be.
m
l
October 17, 2009 1:56:10 AM

krisz said:
Well after installing the chipset drivers and I updated to the latest and greatest beta network card drivers my internet speeds seems to be improved a lot. I wouldn't say it is back up to the same level they are in XP but definitely a lot faster than they used to be.

When you download...is it files from a site? The site could be slow. Have you tried a formal speedtest?: http://speedtest.net http://testmy.net
m
l
October 17, 2009 5:35:23 AM

krisz said:

Where did you find the drivers you need? I have the same problem, my chipset is intel p965 family, and at intel's site, there are no drivers for windows 7 yet, or I was not able to find them.

Thank you
m
l
October 17, 2009 5:39:10 AM

fault123 said:
Where did you find the drivers you need? I have the same problem, my chipset is intel p965 family, and at intel's site, there are no drivers for windows 7 yet, or I was not able to find them.

Thank you
I believe Windows 7 can use Windows Vista drivers.
m
l
October 18, 2009 12:10:41 AM

fault123 said:

Thank you

I went to the Asus website, and looked for Windows 7 drivers for my motherboard.
m
l
October 18, 2009 12:13:09 AM

toasty2 said:
When you download...is it files from a site? The site could be slow. Have you tried a formal speedtest?: http://speedtest.net http://testmy.net

Yes I did try the speed test and everything looked good except my ping was something like 500+
It was only the website download speeds from sites I never had trouble before. Also the streaming videos were bad, I had to wait for them to load, when before in Vista or XP they just start up as soon as I click on the view button, and never stop for buffering.
m
l
October 18, 2009 3:18:53 PM

krisz said:
I went to the Asus website, and looked for Windows 7 drivers for my motherboard.

Yes, I did the same thing. Went to Asus web site. But i could not find win 7 drivers. The newest drivers for my board, were Vista drivers. My board is Commando.
m
l
October 18, 2009 3:27:01 PM

Yeah it looks like the Commando has no Win7 drivers yet. Try and use the Vista ones they supposed to be compatible.
m
l
June 9, 2011 4:52:18 PM

You may be connected to the wrong network or someone else is on your network using all of your bandwidth , to make this situation as clear you need to talk to your ISP and also download regin out to sort out this issue.
After that check your internet speed test through this site http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ whether the download speed is high or not.............
m
l
!