Compute reboots on its own

After sitting without use for about 5 minutes, computer will reboot. Also,
if I go to 'standby' after a few seconds in 'standby' it will reboot.

jeff

spontaneous reboot can have many causes... heat, power, virus, spyware, new
installed software, newly installed driver
Take the cover off your PC, watch the heatsink fan, is it running? does it
slow down? does it make a strange noise? If so you may need to replace the
heatsink fan
If your power supply is failing it will not give a steady level of power to
your PC, does the power supply make a strange noise. is the fan running.
beyond that you will need a multi-meter to check the output.
check for virus, or spyware
did you install anything new just before the problem started?

Do a goggle of your problem:
xp spontaneous reboot

Good Luck

"unklaw" <unklaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After sitting without use for about 5 minutes, computer will reboot.
Also,
> if I go to 'standby' after a few seconds in 'standby' it will reboot.

Thanks Jeff, I have put together a new computer with quality components (I
have done several over the years though I consider myself an novice): Antec
sonata case with power supply, AMD Athlon 3500+ (64bit) cpu, MSI K8N Neo2
Platinum motherboard, 1gig dual channel pc3200 OCZ memory, with s-ata hard
drive. I am running WinXP SP2. I used from the start zone alarm firewall
and norton anti virus.

The hardware and fans seem to be working fine, I have of course been adding
software, not a lot yet and am not sure when this started, because it I only
noticed when I was on the phone not moving the mouse are striking the
keyboard after about 5 minutes; this has happened many times now.

I have not checked for spyware yet but will and do have norton running but
will perform a virus scan. Also, I have reset to default the bios using
JBATT. Device manager shows an (!) at 'NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator other
PCI Bridge device' and (?/!) at 'other devices USB controller'

This is making me a little crazy so thanks for the help and any additional.

UNKLAW